Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Give me some summer reading

Last year I posted a photo of the tall stack of books waiting for my chaise-lounge moments.  I got through almost all of them.

This year?  I have no stack photo to share.  Not for lack of interest - it's because I read everything on my Kindle now, so my "stack" is a virtual one.

This summer is going to include another surgery with a long recovery, during which I will have to stay absolutely still in bed.  I'm thinking of re-reading one or two lengthy favorite books, but I'm really looking for something else.  Some real summer reading.

I'm talking light and fluffy.

Nothing depressing.  No homicides.  No pets that die.  No scary stuff.  I really want a very pleasant way to pass the time.

I could use some quirky heroines, some humorous fantasy, or some mindless drivel.

What do you recommend?

18 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Bea said...

Have you read any Janet Evanovich? She is a hoot!

Cynthia said...

I just finished "Little Bee" and loved it. It was definitely not mindless drivel, but it was good. For something light and easy, try "The Slippery Year".

Jessica Kelly said...

Have you read any of the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series? Those are light, funny, easy reads...I'm also a fan of Nora Roberts for mindless entertaining reading as well as Sophie Kinsella or anything by Jennifer Weiner, those are along the lines of my "chic lit" summer reading list, hope this helps!

Lynn. said...

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Second Thyme Around - Kate Fforde
Miles Vorkosigan (not the title, but a series of books about this character) - Lois McMaster Bujold
Under the Tuscan Sun
Catfish and Mandala
Calvin & Hobbes

concretenprimroses said...

Have you read "Brunelleschi's Dome" about the building of the octagonal brick dome on the cathedral in Florence? There is some intrigue, but no murders or anything. Fascinating story of human scientific and engineering triumph. Dh and I both read it on vacation a couple years ago.
I'm enjoying seeing the recommendations. I'll have to check some of these others out.
I strongly second Janet Evanovich, especially the first 6 or 7 books in the series.
Kathy

Unknown said...

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

If you haven't read it, give it a try. It is a wonderful book! It was one of those books that I started reading in the bookstore and then just wanted to get home ASAP so I could continue the read.

It's about a woman who runs a cooking class and the folks who take the class. You are instantly interested in her life, the students and the wonderful food.

It's been a long time since a book got me so excited - give it a try!

Unknown said...

Last summer I read a ton by Jennifer Cruisie. Lots of fun, interesting characters and they're very easy reads!

Threeundertwo said...

These are great! Keep them coming. I read the first 2 Janet Evanovich before I turned to other things. I might go back to her. Loved Life of Pi.

Michelle said...

For really light and fluffy reading, I enjoy the books by Rita Mae Brown and her cat Sneaky Pie. They are cozies, and often the cats are the viewpoint characters. Very quirky but fun.

What A Card said...

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books are a hoot, as others have mentioned. I don't even like mysteries, but these just crack me up! Light, fluffy, formulaic, good fun :) I'll think about something else to recommend...

Denise said...

Like many of the others I recommend an author, and not a specific book. The author is Fannie Flagg. You know her because she wrote the book that the Fried Green Tomatoes movies is based on. I've read Can't Wait to Get To Heaven, and I loved it. It was funny, and drama that turns into sweetness. (Think of the Kathy Lee Bates Character and the way she ended up improving her marriage.)

Andrea said...

I just finished Priceless by Tom Davis and while it isn't "light" it is a quick, exciting read. It has a heavy topic but isn't depressing. I thoroughly enjoyed it =)

Shannon @ Quarry Orchard said...

I like Sue Grafton books. Yes, there is some murder and crime (she's a detective) but they aren't graphic. It is more about her solving the crime (and doing it independently). I don't like murder type of stories, but her's are different. I've read the entire alphabet up to where she is.

I LOVE Tracy Chevalier and Anita Shreve. (They aren't always upbeat the entire time, but they are my two favorite authors)

Hmm.. I could go on for days here :)

I am also a member of GoodReads. It is a great place to find book suggestions. You sign up and invite friends who love to read. As you read, you can write a little review for your friends to see. You also have a "read" "to read" and "currently" reading 'bookshelf' to help keep track of what you want to read.

The homebodies said...

I love the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books- definitely light, fast and enjoyable, and always upbeat.

Becca said...

I love Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street books and other books. Dear John the book and movie are both good too, but not quite as light.

magda said...

I recently read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (who is better known for The Hundred and One Dalmations. It's refreshing, and has the requisite quirky heroine. It also reminds me of Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm, which is probably lighter. I very much enjoyed the movie version of the latter, but haven't seen that of the former.

Melissa said...

I'm with Shannon, I love Tracy Chevalier - but her work is definitely far from light.

If laughing uproariously isn't a problem, I would highly recommend James Herriot.

Charles Martin is pretty good - although "When Crickets Cry" made me bawl until I was completely congested.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

The Painted Veil by Maugham Somerset - Not light but extremely compelling

Kate DiCamillo - I particularly like Because of Winn Dixie and The Tale of Desperaux

Laura said...

I love this series by Marne Kellog Davis: http://www.marnedaviskellogg.com/books.html. I'm so jealous of the life that the heroine, Kick Keswick lives. Very light, no one dies, and lots of descriptions of gorgeous food, wine, places and jewels!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs