Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Why They Shouldn't Let Me See Shows for Kids

We've said goodbye to summer with some family entertainment.  No simple feat when you have 14 and 12 year old daughters who at times would rather not be seen with their very uncool family.

This weekend we saw a marvelous version of Peter Pan.  It was presented in a 100 foot tall tent near the waterfront in San Francisco.  The ceiling of the tent served as an Imax-style surround screen.  When the actors went up on their wires and flew over London, we really felt like we were swooping along with them.  I loved it.  We all indulged in that willing suspension of disbelief, if just for a few minutes.

If you know the story, or have seen the play, you know that there comes a point when Tinkerbell drinks poison and starts to die.  I knew what was coming but I couldn't help it.  When Peter asked the audience to whisper "I believe in fairies!"  I had tears in my eyes.  I was so caught up in the story.  I know, I know.  It's just actors on a stage.  In costumes.  With wires that we can see them attaching every time they're going to fly.  I couldn't help it.  Little tears.  Poor Tink!  I just love that moment when Peter talks to the audience.

Even though they didn't cry like their sappy mother, the kids were enthusiastic about the production.  Even Drama Girl wanted to discuss what made this story so timeless.  Fourteen year old girls initiating conversation is something to be savored.

Then on Monday, the kids were good sports and came along with me to see Toy Story 3.  Have you seen it?

It's not a good movie for sentimental people who are prone to cry.  Unless perhaps you really want a good cry.  Because I really outdid myself on this one.  The theater was packed but I felt safe hiding behind my 3-D glasses.  I had tissues handy because I suspected there would be some heartstring-tugging.

I tried as hard as I possibly could to  not cry at the ending.  I held it in, held my breath, and then...I snorted.  Actually stifled a sob.  It didn't help at all that the woman behind me was obviously crying.

You'd think I would learn my lesson.  I was a wreck after "The Bridge to Terabithia" and I had just cried the day before at Peter Pan.  Why do I do this to myself?

And how will I find an excuse to see these things when the kids are grown up?

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Alisa said...

I'm a notorious movie crier. Books as well.
I can't recall what movie we saw last year for The Girl's bday party, but it did me in. While I was chaperoning 5 other pre-teenish girls.
My excuse will be doing research for the grandkids. Wouldn't want to not have that perfect movie in my DVD stash for them. You're welcome to use it as well.

The Mother said...

They tell me that parents will usually hand children off to grandparents for kids' movies. So I guess there's hope (in the future).

Laura said...

I am telling you- we can go together, and we'll cry and not even care who sees! we'll boo-hoo and blubber and sniff. I think there's a few states between us, but we'll work it out, cause we are kindred spirits when it comes to movies for sure!

Lisa said...

Oh, I totally sobbed during Toy Story 3! My kids are little enough that they didn't care. And when I said something about it afterward my husband (who was at the other end of the kids and didn't see or hear me) was all: "What part did you cry at???"

Anyway, I have heard that LOTS of moms had a good boo-hoo during that movie. You're in good company.

Rebecca said...

I caught myself crying during a commercial not too long ago. A commercial! I can't even remember what it was about but I know it wasn't even that sad. I'm terrified being pregnant because I know I'm going to be a total mess if I'm already this bad.

zakkalife said...

The only reason I was able to keep it together for Toy Story 3 is because my daughter had to go to the bathroom at one of the most dramatic parts, so I hear.

As for an excuse for watching kid movies, there's always grandchildren.

Melissa said...

Oh, I only cried and cried during Toy Story 3.

Like others said - you will have grandchildren one day and you can always watch movies at home (plays not so much).

Rosemary said...

I understand completely. I was an infants teacher and read the Winnie The Pooh stories to my classes. When I reached the final one where Christopher Robin is growing up and explaining to Pooh that he might not come around as often any more I always ended up with tears coursing down my face. The children would sit there with awed looks on their faces as I smiled through the tears to show them I was just being silly.

krissyh said...

Oh I cried just reading this!!! I hear that the Toy Story is a total tearjerker. But I must say I'm grateful for my crying (I cry very easily at movies and even the occasional commercial - totally pathetic!!!) - but imagine if you weren't touched? Yay!!! I think it shows the kids that it's healthy and beautiful to be sensitive and expressive!

Roslyn said...

"And how will I find an excuse to see these things when the kids are grown up?"
You will take your grandchildren LOL!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs