Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Desperate Times


Fall means one thing. No not exciting baseball games. Not back to school. Not flannel sheets on the bed. Sure those things happen in the fall, but there is one important event that overshadows all of them.

Making pumpkin bread.  You can keep your pumpkin pie, give me some pumpkin bread.  Maybe with nuts in it.  Or mini chocolate chips.  Or just plain.  I might even get crazy and put a little cream cheese on it.

But if you follow important trends like canned pumpkin supplies, you know that last year there was a canned pumpkin shortage.  People were buying it on eBay for $7 a can.  But this year, according to reports, pumpkin would again line the shelves of our favorite stores.

Let's not talk about buying a real pumpkin and all that - I'm not Martha.  If I can't find pumpkin in a can the kids get banana bread again.  In fact, the kids are so in love with banana bread that they leave the last 3 bananas in the bowl to turn black just so I'll make it.  But back to pumpkins.

I found canned pumpkin in one local store last week.  Overjoyed, I bought a can and raced home and mixed up a batch of pumpkin bread.  Which I completely messed up.  Because I didn't measure the flour correctly my husband hasn't hooked my computer back up to the printer so I had to write down the recipe by hand and I miscopied it.  Clearly his fault.

The house smelled wonderful - which really killed everyone in the family who walked in the kitchen and couldn't find any pumpkin bread to eat.  But I was determined, and hungry, so I grabbed my car keys and headed out to get some more pumpkin.

None. Nada.  Zip.  No pumpkin for miles.  Until today.  I went back to a store and found a shelf full of the small cans.  The big cans were all gone.  I thought I showed admirable self-restraint by only buying four.  I toyed with the idea of putting on a disguise and returning later to get more.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I might just go back tomorrow.  You know, if I happen to be in the area.  Just to look.  Maybe just pick up one or two.

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Patty said...

I think you forgot the part where you share the recipe.

The Mother said...

I read on some science/tech blog that the pumpkin emergency has passed...

I guess it just hasn't trickled down yet?

There are always those big orange things on every store's stoop.

Lisa said...

LOL! I got the last 2 small cans at our Walmart last week. They had no big ones to start with. And they didn't have any actual pie filling, just the plain pumpkin. AND the price of the spices!!! Whoa. Wasn't expecting that. I always bought it with the spices in it already.

Anyway, I make pumpkin sheet cake with it, which is sooooo good...

1 box yellow cake mix, with one cup reserved
1 egg
1 stick marg, melted

Mix and press into greased cake pan. (You will probably have to grease your hands.)

1 large can of pumpkin pie filling (could not find it this year so I used regular pumpkin and added spices and a half cup of sugar)
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk

Mix and pour on top the cake layer

cup of reserved cake mix
1/2 stick of marg
1/4 cup sugar
tsp cinnamon (I just pour it in- extra cinnamon is good)

cut like pie crust and sprinkle on top.

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes. My oven takes a bit longer, but it cooks slow.

This is really good if you don't know how to make pumpkin bread... like say no one shares their recipe with you...

Bea said...

I didn't know there was a pumpkin shortage?? I can always find it at my local stores. Let me know if you can not find any. I can ship some to you.

Threeundertwo said...

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter, softened
* 3 cups sugar
* 3 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoons ground cloves
* 1 teaspoons ground allspice
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
* 1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in pumpkin. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until bread tests done.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to try it.

Heather said...

I was planning on buying a bunch of small pie pumpkins to make roasted pumpkin at Christmas. Tried it a few weeks ago and loved it.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs