Friday, December 3, 2010

Finished for Friday: Free Christmas Books and Music

I'm spinning into the holiday around here, wondering how I'm going to get it all done.  I notice a lot of friends on Facebook are already addressing Christmas cards.  Ack!  I hadn't even thought about mine yet.

I'm also busy driving the kids back and forth to the next city for Nutcracker rehearsals.  The preparation for that includes a grand scavenger hunt (girls can only wear Rimmel lipstick color #202, boys can only wear a particular shade of brown that's impossible to find.)  I still need to sew white elastics on one pair of black ballet shoes and black elastics on a different pair.  Tell me the truth, if you're watching The Nutcracker, do you notice the color of the elastic on the shoes of the dancers?  I suppose someone does.  Far be it from me to mess up the grand designs of the costume mistress.

There are two sure things that get me in the holiday spirit.  One is music, the other is a good Christmas story.  I'll share a few I've been enjoying this past week.

For your mp3 player, I recommend "The Wexford Carol" by Andreas Vollenweider.  This is some decidedly different harp music that would work great in a playlist that includes artists like Mannheim Steamroller.

If you haven't downloaded music from Amazon before, it's very simple.  You'll be prompted to download their tool, which just takes a few seconds.  Then your music will automatically show up in iTunes (or whatever player you prefer to use on your computer).

Amazon has a lot of free music, often for a limited time.  It's worth checking throughout December because they feature a new free holiday song each day.  You may also be interested in one of their free "samplers" of Christmas music. I recommend the Sugo Music Free Holiday Sampler and Timeless Christmas.  If you don't like all the tracks, you can always delete a few and keep the ones you like.

On to books.  Although this one is no longer free, it was a lovely holiday read and you may want to add it to your list of books to pick up.

A Simple Amish Christmas is about Annie Weaver, a young woman who has left the community for a few years and become a nurse.  We begin by seeing her in a familiar busy hospital setting, but soon venture with her back home to a life of quiet simplicity.  Once there, she faces challenges and decisions about how she will use her skills and find her place within her community.

I haven't read much about the Amish, so the descriptions of everyday life and home were fascinating to me.  It was definitely a book that brought some calm and peace to my busy days.  Now I want to read some more in this genre.


I've also enjoyed a few shorter works, which are free.  Beasley's Christmas Party is a charming old-fashioned tale from Booth Tarkington.  The Bird's Christmas Carol is a forgotten classic that's very sweet and funny and finally The Burglar and the Blizzard, while not particularly Christmassy, is witty and fun along the lines of P. G. Wodehouse.  All recommended for some cozy fireside reading.

What have you been up to this week?  Link up and show us.  Have a wonderful weekend.  I'm off to order my Christmas cards now.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

concretenprimroses said...

Thanks, I'll check out the harpist for sure.
I think I didn't link up right.
Ah well.
Kathy

Anne said...

Thanks for hosting another fun party!!!

Melissa said...

At first I was confused by what you were saying about a scavenger hunt - then I got it. I went on one of those for my little choir-girl sheep.

My cards are addressed and waiting for me to slip a photo in and for the stamps to come (I actually ordered them - I am to lazy to go to the post office!! )

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

LOVE your blog ~ thank you for stopping by mine so I could fine yours! I had seen a link for that Amish Christmas book recently - will check it out after your recommendation.

Happy Reading,
Tanya

DebbieSFL said...

This is my first stop to your blog; thanks for the music recommendations. I downloaded quite a few; I forgot that Amazon offered freebie downloads.

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Your comments message cracked me up, lol, I ACTUALLY did stop folding laundry to do some quick blogging, he he, how did you know?

I linked up my Ribbon Rose Wreath, it's like 20 years old, and I finally gave it a facelift, lol.

Thanks for hosting another great party, I am your newest follower (the blue girl. Bella)

Also I would like to let you know I am hosting my first giveaway -- I finally reached 100 followers and am celebrating by giving away SEVEN wonderful girfts from some incredible blogging friends.

Have fun finding that perfect lipstick and elastic, I'm right there with you, my kids are both rehearsing for their Chistmas program, they are in Tavaci.

Thanks again!!!

Bella :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs