Saturday, January 1, 2011

What I Learned from Vacation Alone

Everyone comes home tomorrow.  Wasabi Girl will be back from her adventure in the snow at Lake Tahoe.  It was -9 degrees up there!  

My husband and Jungle Boy will drive back from their adventure in a cabin in the woods.  According to Jungle Boy, they got up at 5am every morning to stake out a spot on the river in the cold and rain.  The best part?  The steelhead are "catch and release" on that river.  What's the point???  I am completely free of any jealousy about that trip.  When last we spoke (I think my husband found cell phone coverage by climbing a tree) they hadn't caught anything.

Drama Girl has spent the week in Los Angeles with her aunt and uncle.  They've been shopping, celebrity hunting, and hanging out.  Her hair is a new color - with my blessing.  I'll ask her if I can post pictures.  It's not a color usually found in hair. 

I can tell from their phone calls that each kid has had an exhilarating week of semi-independence.   No mom to tell them to pick up their socks.  No dull routine.  No music practice.  Plenty of new things to see and experience.  I couldn't be happier for them.

I'm inclined to think, though, that I had the best vacation of all.  A week in a quiet house.  No nagging.  No driving all over the place.  No cooking elaborate meals and shoveling laundry.  Just me and the cats.  I sewed and read and napped.  I played on the wii and finished off the Christmas pie.  I listened to my music.

I can't stand it any more.  They need to come home now.  Don't tell them I said that.

2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Taylor said...

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for following my blog! Hope to see you there again soon.I love your blog it's so cute. :)

Taylor~ http://allthingshistoricalfiction.blogspot.com/

Bea said...

Funny you should mention no shoveling laundry. Guess what you will be doing for the next few days...

Sounds like your alone vacation was wonderful. Happy New Year!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs