Monday, July 4, 2011

Appreciating America at the Henry Ford Museum

I had the opportunity to go to the Henry Ford Museum when I was in Detroit recently and I loved it.  Definitely a must-see if you're in the area.  I thought for this 4th of July I'd share just a few of the many many exhibits I enjoyed.


Part of a dollhouse from 1840.  I would love to have a dollhouse like this.  What a lucky little girl to have such a wonderful plaything.  There were several dollhouses on display from different eras.  I could have spent hours looking at them.


Vintage sewing machine.  I forgot to note the year for this one.  Isn't it an interesting design?


"1980's teen bedroom" I had to laugh at this one.  Part of their display of lifestyles through the decades.  It looked pretty authentic, right down to the unmade bed.


The chair President Lincoln was sitting in when he was assassinated.  This was part of a very sobering display on freedom.  There is also an interesting Civil War exhibit at the museum now through September.  Yes, that is a bloodstain at the top there.


The bus that Rosa Parks rode in when she refused to give up her seat to a white man.  They allow you on the bus and you can hear a narration by Rosa of what happened that day.


There's the seat.  Yes I did sit in it, the tour guide was inviting everyone to sit there.  Being able to touch this piece of history was a profound reminder of how one person can be the pebble that starts an avalanche.  I was very moved by this.

Enjoy your 4th of July, and take a moment to enjoy what freedom means to you.

4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Branlaadee said...

What an amazing experience! You are lucky to have been there.

Miri said...

This sounds like a wonderful museum! What an experience to actually sit where Rosa Parks sat!

Happy 4th of July!

Melissa said...

Looks like a fascinating place toe explore...

Tami said...

I'm in tears. Not over the assassination of President Lincoln, or the bravery of Rosa Parks, but because they are now considering the 80's historical enough to be included in a museum! And I was already DONE with being a teen by then.

Oh, the humanity....!!!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs