Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Revolving Door

It's summer, and with Jungle Boy still away at camp, the girls have had all sorts of sleepovers and friends in and out the door.

Right now I'm listening to one girl practice the flute.  She fits right in to our room full of musical instruments!  Someone is playing the guitar in the back of the house and I'm pretty sure it's not one of my kids.  The bathroom looks like 20 girls have been prepping for a prom.  There are sleeping bags and unmade beds everywhere.  Drama Girl is wearing clothes I don't recognize.

There have been grand plans to plant a garden/build a shed/sew some clothes.  There has been more soda consumed in the last week than in the past 6 months.  I keep running and emptying the dishwasher.  I keep driving back and forth to the mall, various homes, downtown.  I need to wash a bushel of towels.

It's a bit chaotic, but at various times one and another girl has called me "mom" - on purpose.  I'm loving it.  Now excuse me while I go bake them some cookies.

4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Becky said...

I love that! I hope my house is just like that when I have kids. I want their (well-behaved) friends to feel free to come over at any time and stay over. I love kids but I don't want twenty permanent ones - I'll take them part-time!

Becca said...

Sounds like tons of fun! I always loved my friends whose houses were like that :)

Tami said...

When I was in the midst of those days I sometimes wanted them all to just go away for a bit so I could listen to the quiet, but it was worth every headache and frazzled nerve. I loved being the mom who made cookies, who fed all the friends, who would let you do makeovers at 2:00 a.m. Enjoy it all!

WidneyWoman said...

You are the mom I want to be.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs