Friday, October 21, 2011

Finished for Friday: Revisiting Anne Shirley



On a whim this week, I read Anne of Green Gables on my Kindle.

I realized that the last time that I read this book, I was probably about Anne's age - 12. I might have laughed at all the right parts and enjoyed her eccentricities. I certainly remember some of the episodes. But this week as I read it, I saw the story from the perspective of a parent, and the story was sweet and touching and new.  Here is Anne at the tender age of fifteen:
And when I put on longer skirts I shall feel that I have to live up to them and be very dignified.  It wont even do to believe in fairies then, I'm afraid; so I'm going to believe in them with all my whole heart this summer.
Ah, that tipping point between belief and growing up!  It's a little heartbreaking to watch as they become aware of it.

Anne's wise adoptive mother Marilla echos the sentiments of every mother;
I just couldn't help thinking of the little girl you used to be, Anne.  And I was wishing you could have stayed a little girl, even with all your queer ways.  You've grown up now and you're going away; and you look so tall and stylish and so-so-different altogether in that dress -- as if you didn't belong in Avonlea at all -- and I just got lonesome thinking it all over.
To which Anne, wiser than her years, replies;
I'm not a bit changed -- not really.  I'm only just pruned down and branched out.  The real ME -- back here -- is just the same.  It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and better every day of her life.
*sniff*  Hand me a tissue!

Have you ever gone back to re-read a favorite book from childhood?  Sometimes a sweet simple story really hits the spot.

What have you been up to this week?  Link up and let us see.  Thanks for joining in and have a great weekend!


4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

I adore Anne...it has been awhile since I've reread Anne or watched the show (my husband banned us from it when my girls started acting too much like Anne ;=) ) But there are so many lovely little moments in it.

Miri said...

I don't remember reading it as a child but I had heard of it and finally read it and some of the sequels a few years ago. My favorite bit is when she wants a dress with mutton chop sleeves: I liked it so much I bought and made a doll pattern because of the dress' mutton chop sleeves! :)

Denise P said...

Love love love Anne Shirley... one of my favorite college papers was a little 3 page one for children's lit that was a compare/contrast of Anne Shirley and Meg from Little Women. (Like them too, obviously!)

Connie said...

I just finished reading the Anne series on my Nook - I had to grab a hanky more than once!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs