Monday, November 7, 2011

Makes My Monday: Soft Hearts in the Neighborhood

I'm sorry I don't have a picture to go with this post.  Just picture the calmest, sweetest golden retriever you've ever seen.  He belongs to our neighbors down the street on the corner.  Every day he lies in the front yard, gazing at every car that goes by.  There has always been a sweet golden at that corner.  There was one who lived to a ripe old age before he died and was replaced by a puppy.  That puppy grew up and left home with the oldest daughter in the family and a new puppy arrived.  That puppy is grown now and lies on the lawn just like his predecessors.

The owner can often be seen out there spending time with his dog and training it well.  Let me tell you dog owners, good training shows.  That dog is never tethered and it's a fairly busy intersection.  He just sits all day.

So imagine my surprise when I drove to the corner a few days ago and that dog was not only off the lawn, he had his front feet up on the steps of the UPS truck parked in the street.  The street was blocked so I had to stop.  Sweet dog seemed to be looking for something.  The UPS man was up at his house leaving a package at the door.

"Looks like you have an assistant today!"  I joked with Mr. UPS.

"I'm just the sub on this route, but now I think I know why the driver keeps dog biscuits in the truck." he answered.

As I started to laugh, the owner came out of the house flustered and commanding the dog to get down.  "He wants a cookie."

Now the UPS guy and I were both laughing.  The mystery of the box of dog biscuits on the dashboard was revealed, as was the secret camaraderie between the regular delivery guy and this dog on his route.

I bet he tosses a "cookie" out to that dog every day.  I would.  No wonder the dog got up to look.  He recognizes the cookie delivery truck when he sees it.

Kind hearts in the neighborhood make my Monday.  To see more Monday makers, visit Cheryl at Twinfatuation.

1 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl Lage said...

ThreeUnder, this story warms my heart so! (And it was so artfully told. :) )

Now that we are a "dog family," tales of those with tails are completely Monday makers....and I LOVE imagining that scene!

Thank you so much for playing along!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs