Wednesday, July 18, 2012

War Brides




I recently finished "War Brides" by Helen Bryan and I absolutely loved it.  Pick it up for a summer read and be transported to the English countryside during World War II.  The story focuses on five women with very different backgrounds who end up together in a small village.  As the war progresses, they learn to adapt and survive just as every other woman at that time had to.  Years later, when they reunite to commemorate VE day, they also enact a plan to get revenge on a traitor in their midst.

The characters are inspiring, but also realistic.  They have been called "the greatest generation" and the book paints a clear picture of the reality behind the slogan "make do and mend."  Life on the home front was incredibly hard.

The pacing and flow of this book were perfect.  This is the author's first novel, although she has also written an award-winning biography of Martha Washington.  Early reviews noted typos in the Kindle version, but I found none at all, and I have an eagle-eye for those things, so it appears the current edition has been edited and cleaned up.

The link above will take you to the paperback.  Also available for Amazon Kindle for $2.99 or borrow this book for free through the Kindle Owners Lending Library.  If you buy this book (or anything at Amazon) through the link above, I get a small commission and I really appreciate it.

Highly recommended.



4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

Sounds really good and for 2.99 I think I might try it.

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Oh I'd love to borrow it for Kindle please!! I had been wondering about it ...

Tanya :)

Laura said...

Oooh I love books set in WWII. Thanks for sharing it-it's going on my list!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the link - I just picked it up for my train ride on Friday :-)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs