Thursday, September 6, 2012

Field Trips Then and Now

Back when I was in high school, I remember we had opportunities to go to fine arts events.  There was one concert in particular I remember.  It was a young artist series and we got to see a young man play the cello.  His tuxedo didn't fit very well, but I remember I really enjoyed the concert.  He was just starting out at the time, which is why he was playing for students.

I remembered that young man often as I learned the harp.  Seeing and hearing him helped me realize that solo instruments could draw an audience.  To this day I think hearing good live music is one of the most valuable gifts we can give children - and ourselves.



Here are Wasabi Girl and Jungle Boy off to see "Rigoletto" at San Francisco Opera.  They are going on a field trip with their symphonic band.  It's really just a dress rehearsal, which is why the tickets were available to schools.  Jungle Boy wanted to dress up anyway.  I think they look great.

Not everyone appreciates opera.  I love some, don't care as much for others.  But I believe trying  new experiences like this is like trying new foods.  You can't really know unless you experience it.  I'm grateful that their school gave them this opportunity.

And that young man who played the cello in the ill-fitting tux?  His name was Yo-Yo Ma.  He's won many many awards in his brilliant career.  I'm proud to say I've been a fan since we were both very young.


2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

Wow!! What a cool opportunity for your kids and for you!! Who knows what they will be able to say someday...

krissyH said...

Wow!!! I love that story and I love the kids having this opportunity - you are an amazing home and they are amazing kids! So lucky!!!! xoxo

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs