Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wordful Wednesday: Autumn Quilt



Angie at 7 Clown Circus is hosting Wordful Wednesday, for those of us who can't handle that pesky "wordless Wednesday" meme because we can't shut up.

I'm trying on a new header today, to see if I like how it looks. I finished this quilt a while back after it sat around as a UFO for a long time. (That's "unfinished object" for those who may not know quilting lingo). One of those projects that was easier to create in my mind than it was to execute in real life.

Every part of this quilt was an experiment - choosing colors, choosing fabrics, combining them, the techniques I used to applique them. After a while I think my head just exploded and I moved on to other projects.

This one sat on the design wall for a long time before it was assembled. My design wall is a large plywood cabinet at the back of the garage to which I have stapled some neutral-colored flannel. I pin the blocks to the flannel. At that time, I could actually park the car in the garage. (Before the remodel nightmare - but that's another story). So every day, we would hop in the car and I'd look at that quilt as I backed up and it diminished. It's a great way to get a range of perspective on a piece, but also a great way to run over stray cats if you're not looking. Luckily, I didn't hurt anything in my process of color contemplation.

I'm glad I finally stopped dithering and finished it. It's hanging over our bed now. Here in earthquake country we don't dare hang anything heavy over a bed, like a picture or a shelf.

This project was finished a while ago, but to see what I've finished this week, and to join in with your own masterpieces big and small, join me on Friday for "Finished for Friday."

21 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Mamarazzi said...

i love quilts!!

Eileen said...

That is really pretty. You don't often think of pink as an autumn color, but this year for some reason I keep seeing it mixed in.

You could keep showing more quilts. :-)

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

it is quite pretty! it looks great as a header, but what a beautiful quilt!

Weeksie50 said...

Oh, I love the quilt.
Great header..

Danyele Easterhaus said...

perfect for the season. i like it!

Claremont First Ward said...

Your ability to make beautiful quilts amazed me. You are so talented, and you can tell your "pieces" come from the heart. I've missed stopping in these past few weeks while I've been uprooted. :)

S Club Mama said...

What a beautiful quilt! That's something I need to learn to do.

Rachel said...

what a gorgeous quilt! how long have you been making them?

Scary Mommy said...

I love that quilt! And it fits your blog really well. I'm always so impressed and jealous over your talents.

Unknown said...

That is truly a lovely quilt. I am glad that you decided to finish it. It would be a pity to let it languish somewhere. It makes a great header too.

debi9kids said...

That quilt is FANTASTIC!!!!!

Patty said...

I really like it and it looks great as a header. My plan for this week was to finish up some of my stitching WIPs for Friday. So far, they're still WIPs...

Kellan said...

I loved it - beautiful! I love the "UFO" reference - HA!

Have a good evening - Kellan

Jaime said...

It's a wonderful header and I bet it's an even better quilt. Quilting is something I know very little about. Makes we want to go visit my grandma. She has a room in her house full of finished quilts and another room with fabrics/patterns/sewing stuff galore!

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

I have one that i have been needing to finish for 5 years. I am hoping to get it done this winter. I am hand stitching and have just procrastinated. Your header is beautiful and really that took alot of work!! Thanks for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Wow! That quilt is just beautiful and perfect for the season.

And I have a few "UFO" scrapbooking projects sitting around. Nothing like a quilt but still...

Susan said...

Beautiful...very fall feeling!

Thanks for stopping by my place!

K said...

The quilt is beautiful!
I wandered over to you from Wordful Wednesday- I was intrigued by 3 under 2, because at one point, I had 5, 5 and under. But mine grew too! Phew!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'll say it again...you are so talented.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful. I just started an afghan. I would love to learn to quilt, but I'm not sure I have the patience for it.

Rosa said...

I could hardly watch the lovely quilt, as I was laughing so hard, reading about you sitting in the car in the garage - backing in order to see the colours on your fancy designboard.
I love your work - but your talent with words give me the most funny pictures in my twisted brain *lol*

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs