Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cookie Therapy and Something to Laugh About

(written Tuesday night)

Drama Girl didn't make it to school today. God bless her, she had some cry time up in her private spot on her top bunk. Broke my heart but we all have to go through it.

When she showed up later in the kitchen, she decided she just really wanted to bake cookies. She's never made cookies before but she insisted she wanted to do it all by herself. Is there some gene that makes women want to bake when the people they love are grieving? My husband is the cookie monster around here and I think we're all sensitive to his pain.

So she baked. Fabulous peanut butter cookies. And I didn't interfere, which is saying a lot for me because I usually hover like heck when my kids are in the kitchen. It was a gift from her. I don't know who got more therapy from it - Drama Girl, or me, watching her and thinking my heart would burst with love.

Sometime in the past I told my husband that I want to be buried in a simple pine coffin. When my mother in law and I were talking on the phone yesterday it came up again as we were discussing personal taste in burial. Later, when my husband went with her to pick coffins, they saw a pine one and both blurted out "there's [threeundertwo's] coffin!" and burst out laughing. Glad I could offer a little levity! Glad they found one for me. Then apparently they discussed buying coffins at Costco - where would you store it? (Honestly - go to Costco.com and search on "coffin")

Tonight Drama Girl was supposed to sing in a massive school choral concert. Her heart wasn't there and I wrote a note to the teacher that this just wasn't going to happen. The whole family curled up on the couch together instead to watch "Enchanted" and have popcorn and fruit for dinner. And cookies - fresh baked peanut butter cookies.

One day at a time. I can't thank everybody enough for all the kind wishes. It means a lot to me right now.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like such a sweet girl- and maybe she's discovered a new "therapy" for herself. It sounds like she is very mature for her age.

My prayers are with you all.

Claremont First Ward said...

She sounds amazing.....so sad that she had to feel grief at such a young age though.......

DJ said...

I've always suspected there was healing power in peanut butter cookies :) Peace to your family.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully things are lifting around there. I have seen the coffins at Costco, they are unbelievably well-priced unlike the rip-off's at the mortuary. At the mortuary they capitilize on your grief which is ridiculous.

Thinking of you all.

Christie said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Im so glad I stop by yours. This story of your daughter was just so sweet. I am sorry for your loss. Peace to all of you.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

That Drama Girl is a sweetheart!

Just last week, my husband and I saw the coffin display at Costco. We had the same question - Where would you store it??

Your evening with the kiddos, watching Enchanted sounded - well, enchanted. Just what they need right now.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I have an answer!!! We were at Costco tonight. I picked up a brochure. THEY store it for you. When you need one, you call and they will deliver it to a funeral home in your area that is contracted with them to accept the delivery. It takes a couple of days for delivery.

Liz Jimenez said...

I'm such a cookie therapy person. I remember very clearly, that's what I did the day I lost my second pregnancy. I couldn't bear to make the phone calls, so I made my favorite chocolate chip cookies and curled up on the couch. You do what you need to do, right?

Elizabeth said...

kitchen therapy can be a good thing. When My Mother died ( I was 12) my Father started buying me Jiffy mixes at the store...I'd bake after school and then take some to my teacher who was kind enough to accept them and just "hang out with me" at lunch time. It was a rough time.
I am praying for you all.
Blessings, EJT

Elizabeth said...

PS. There is a Monastery in Illinois, New Mellarly, I think, where the Monks hand craft beautiful coffins to help support their community. I've in structed DH that that is what I want!
Pax.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs