Sunday, December 14, 2008

And then Christmas happened

I've had a rough couple of weeks. Dealing with my pain problems, (MRI shows several tears in the lining of my hip joint - hello arthroscopic surgery!), a friend committed suicide, my job as PTA treasurer has taken a nasty turn at the discovery of a secret PTA account being kept by a parent (so that's where those checks went!), I've been running around like crazy trying to complete costume parts for Nutcracker and outfits for school concerts (how is it possible that there are no size 10 black pants within a 20 mile radius?), and hosting a big cookie-decorating party (more on that later).

But through it all, I've really tried to make Christmas happen. I've gone through all the motions of decorating the house, putting on the music, and following through with all of our traditions. But my heart wasn't in it. I had the perfect storm of bursting brain, sad heart, and physical pain.

But then something happened. Friday night while Jungle Boy and Drama Girl were at their Nutcracker rehearsal, Wasabi Girl and I started setting up for the cookie party. I baked gingerbread cookies furiously while she set up craft stations and organized the frosting and sprinkles. When I took the hundredth cookie out of the oven I paused for a minute and sat with her at a little table she'd set up.

"Mom, look at the ornaments we can make with these beads and wire!" I picked up a piece of wire and curled the end. Then I slid some beads on. I made a hook on the other end and held it up to the light. So simple it was beautiful. I started making another.

"Mommy, this is fun."
"Yes sweetheart, this is fun."
"Can we have some eggnog?"
"I think we must. It wouldn't feel like Christmas without it."

And as we sat there, making these beautiful little ornaments in the quiet house, next to the lights of the tree, Christmas happened. And now it's mine. And I love it.

13 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Unknown said...

Awww, that got me all teary. I still don't feel Christmasy yet and I'm afraid I won't at all this year. So sorry for everything you've been going through.

Anonymous said...

You brought tears to my eyes! I am sorry for all you are dealing with, thankfully you have your beautiful family to celebrate Christmas with..I know the feeling of going through the motions and not feeling the emotions of Christmas, especially with 6 children to look after including two very busy 13 month olds. Enjoy your beautiful ornaments and eggnog!

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh 3/2---so soory for the whopping amalgam of angst you've been enduring.

How happy I am that Christmas has found you and you've taken possession. I'm looking forward to seeing those ornaments...this Friday perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I hope the surgery is quick and the recovery easy. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. And I'm so glad you got a little sparkle of joy.

Des said...

That's why I create. We have the innate desire to create and when we do, I believe, God sends His spirit to be with us and we are changed. Keep creating through the good and the bad. It soothes the soul and we please God.

Merry Christmas!

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh, leave it to kids to shine the light towards a happier time. I hope the Christmas spirit stays with you.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! It happens when we least expect it.

Now, the parent with the secret PTA account...what's up with that?

Lily Boot said...

That's a real shame about the PTA - my experience with similar organisations ended in tears, having a wee bit of power - real or imaginery - seems to bring out the worst in some people. And your poor hip - that must be dreadfully painful. And your friend .... I'm so very sorry that you have so much on your plate at a time of year when everything is supposed to be carol-perfect. But I cheer your lovely children and your perserverance in plodding on through. I wish I could come to your cookie decorating party - what a marvellous idea! And I look forward to seeing your pretty beaded decorations. Best wishes

Laura said...

I'm sad for you that you are going through all of those things at once, but WOW- what joy a child can bring to our hearts when we need it most.
I hope today is a good one.

Alisa said...

I am sorry you're going through so much. What is it about the PTA that can bring out the worst in us parents?
Hope your hip surgery is successful and recovery is quick.
Sorry about your friend.
I am glad that Christmas still found you. I think that is the glory of children. They always come through for us even when they don't even really know or understand how much we need them.
I hope things start going a little easier for you.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful ending.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. I'm so happy that you got to stop and spend a few minutes in the moment! Those are the things that will be remembered. My favorite line is from Kung Fu Panda: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present. I hope you recover quickly!

Eileen said...

You don't even need any pictures.. your blog is on the top of my list.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs