Saturday, February 28, 2009

One of those Dreadful Medical Posts with TMI

How I became the bionic woman

related [litandlaundry.blogspot.com]
How I became the bionic woman


That, in a nutshell, is where I am now. I've had weeks of pre-op appointments. I have this ingenious torture device sitting here waiting for me. I have to strap into it and lay back while it flexes and straightens my hip for hours. And I've been given a brace - from my waist to my ankle. Lovely. All these things ready to be used after my surgery next Tuesday. To top it off, I don't get to shower for two weeks after the surgery (ewwww!)

I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. Like any person in this day in age, I used Google to see how people have done with this particular surgery. I wish I hadn't looked. It wont be a miracle cure and it seems that the real pain relief may take up to a year to happen.

But I'm grateful to live in a day and age when there are treatments available, and I'm grateful I live near a major medical center that has one of the world's experts on this type of procedure, and I'm grateful that I have a husband who can work from home and take care of me and the kids.

So wish me luck. Tuesday's the big day. Not sure how regular I'll be with posting but hey - with all that time strapped to that machine, hopefully I'll be able to use my laptop.

I've prepared as best I can - I bought a bunch of new cute pajamas. I'm sure it will make all the difference.

23 people stopped folding laundry to write:

HeatherV said...

Sending you lots of virtual support and good thoughts as you prepare for surgery and the recovery afterwards. (((hugs)))

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Anonymous said...

You will most definitely be in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this. I'm glad you have such a great support system at home.

Will be looking forward to whatever updates you feel up to posting.

Take care!

*hugs*

Cheryl Lage said...

Oh Honey! LOTS of thoughts and prayers coming your way. Call me crazy but I am imagining a LOT of needlework in your coming weeks! ;)

Please take good care...we'll all be rooting for you.

LauraC said...

Good luck! I'm glad you at least have a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

I couldn't shower for 10 days after my ear surgery... they told me if a single drop of water got near my ear, it could enter my brain and cause a fatal brain infection. Not scary to hear or anything!

Anyway before the surgery I went to REI and got that "dry shampoo" stuff to wash my hair. Worst mistake ever! It made my hair oily and greasy and nasty. So... after day 10, don't try it. Really.

(Hopefully you can have sponge baths)

Unknown said...

Cute PJs do make a big difference, I promise! :) Good luck and feel better soon!

Cathi said...

I'll definitely be thinking of you!! Maybe you can get lots of hand stitching done while strapped to the machine?

Lindsay-ann said...

I hope all goes well with your surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday.
You will need lots of craft magazines to aid your recovery!
Sending a big hug your way.
Lindsay

Tammy said...

Good luck with your surgery and recovery! Sending you lots of good thoughts.

Liz Jimenez said...

Yowza! Good luck!! I hope it goes smoothly and you have lots of hand crafting to pass the time.

Anonymous said...

Cute pajamas are a must. Good luck and God speed your recovery.

Laura said...

First, I hope you experience only a minimum amount of discomfort.
I will pray that the outcome will be so fantastic that you will forget the means.
Two, I've been washing my dad's hair with this stuff that works incredibly well for patients. You don't need to wash it out.
His hair smells good and looks good.
If you can't shower this could be an alternative for your hair.
I will get the name of it in the next day or two when I go to visit him.
Part of me is excited that you are going to be treated and eventually won't feel any pain anymore.
That's good, right?

DebD said...

Wow... I'll be praying.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

keeping you in my thoughts + prayers...

Tonya Staab said...

Wow. Poor you. Sending you lots of healing fairy dust. Hope the surgery works and that you will be pain free in no time. Fingers crossed, right :).

Cute cartoon.

Lori said...

Good luck, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

debi9kids said...

OMgosh. Sounds scary and aren't we all awful? I look up my symptoms and treatments all the time and scare the heck out of myself all the time!
I will be saying prayers for you. Safe and smooth surgery and as painfree of a recovery as possible.
(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, that sounds like you'd rather be doing something else. I've never heard of the machine thing. I am sorry you have to go through this. I know if it works in hindsight you will feel like it was worth it.

Will be thinking of you.

Lisa said...

Dude. You don't have to take a shower for TWO WEEKS? Some people are so lucky!

Oh. You WANT to take a shower and CAN'T. Er, ok. Well, I think I would just try to enjoy it... that and all the good drugs! LOL!

Seriously, good luck with the surgery. I would be nervous, too, but hopefully this will help you. If you can give birth- to twins, no less, you can do this!

Patty said...

I wish you didn't have to go through all of this. I hope it goes well and I hope you're able to post and/or craft while you're recovering. And, I hope if you see a male patient on the gurney opposite you in pre-op wearing only a hospital gown and nothing under it, he has something worth seeing, if you know what I mean.

Christy said...

Good luck with your surgery. I am a nurse and work on an extended care unit. Many of our patients come to us to "rehab" and get better after their surgeries. So, I totally understand your fears and concerns.
My best advice, don't hesitate to ask for pain medication. Take it before the pain is real severe and before you are expected to get out of bed and work your hip.
Also, it helps to know how often you can have pain medication and let them know if it isn't effective!
Hope that was helpful!

Jillybean said...

Wishing you good luck with your surgery.

I think people should bring you chocolate.

magda said...

Go, go, cute pajamas! Don't forget to watch funny movies.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs