Monday, May 11, 2009

Fiddler on the Roof Audition Results

Motel. The tailor. My daughter Drama Girl got cast as Motel the tailor.

Seriously. I had to scan the cast list three times before my eyes focused on it. Motel? That bashful awkward young man??

It's as if the director just wanted to provide me with blog fodder.

Go ahead and laugh. I sure am. Drama Girl was shocked. I had to talk her down. "Not enough boys auditioned for the part. It's a good stretch for an actress. You'll get a solo! It will give you good experience! A lot of kids didn't get cast at all."

I'll get to see her in that beautiful wedding scene where they sing "Sunrise Sunset." Only she'll be the groom. *snicker*

So for those of you keeping score at home, this summer I will be putting makeup on my son for his ballet recital and putting a beard on my daughter for her play. I can't help but harbor the nagging feeling that I missed a chapter in some parenting book somewhere. Are all families as haywire as this?

On second thought, don't answer that.

9 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Laura said...

Wonder of wonder...
Miracle of miracles...
I was afraid that God would frown..
But like he did so long ago in Jericho
God found a way to give your daughter a cool part...(Okay that last line is not even CLOSE to rhyming)
But I think that is GREAT that she will play Motel!
She will have such fun if she allows herself to OWN it.

Des said...

That IS good blog fodder!! She'll have great stories for her grandchildren. And just think, she have a great line for the game, "3 lies and a truth"

A memory in the making :D

Alisa said...

We are all taught to grow in ways that we would never imagine for ourselves.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, it is like a giant curveball coming at you, and you just have to ready your bat.

That's about all the philosophical goodness I have in me for today. Can you tell we're in baseball season here?

Congrats Drama Girl, go with it and have fun, make it you.

And yes, most families are haywire. Most just don't have blogs to tell the world about it.

Or at least that's what I'm choosing to believe.

Liz Jimenez said...

Well, I'll be damned. :-) Tell her the blogosphere says congrats, and I'm sure she'll ROCK the part.

Karen said...

I know she'll do a great job. And it'll be fun to make everyone guess which person she is on-stage.

Bea said...

Congratulations to Drama Girl! It wasn't the part she was expecting but it is a part and she will be wonderful and she will enjoy every minute of it. Hey, Cate Blanchett was nominated for an Academy Award for playing Bob Dylan.

You did not miss a chapter in the parenting book. Chapter One: Expect the Unexpected.

The Mother said...

Look at it this way--you won't have to worry about the ingrained gender roles and how they may have damaged your children's psyches.

Does she have to learn to dance with a bottle on her head?

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Congratulations Drama Girl!!! I know you'll be the best Tailor, ever! That way, when they show a clip from Fiddler on The Tonight Show (when you are America's Sweetheart), you can be proud of your early work.

Jungle Boy is doing what most men are curious about - that whole makeup thing! Enjoy!!

Eileen said...

Oh I bet she will have a blast playing this part.
It will give her a chance to show what a good actress she is.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs