Thursday, July 23, 2009

Finished for Friday: Garden Quilt


This little quilt has a long history. I made most of these blocks during a workshop at Asilomar led by Jean Wells. I bought about a hundred different fabrics during the course of construction.

Once home, I got distracted set the blocks aside temporarily and turned to other projects.

That was a few years ago. In the interim, I took the blocks out, made a few more, and scattered them around the margins of my design wall. They looked so pretty up there.

You know what happens when you have something in plain sight for a long time? You don't see it any more.

But thanks I think, to the cold medicine I took this week, I finally got the urge to take them all down and assemble them into a quilt. Not as big as I was first planning, but if I were to wait any longer for the urge to make more blocks, it would just never happen.

So hurray for mush-brained creativity! I've already filled the space on my design wall with another work in progress.

Lit and Laundry


What have you been up to this week? Link up and let us know. Be sure to visit all the other players and give them a pat on the back.

7 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Quilts and Cats said...

Great quilt. I understand what you mean about putting things aside for a while. I do the same and sooner or later something will be created!

Cathi said...

I love that quilt! Sometimes I think that blocks have to "marinate" before they're put into a quilt top. At least that's my excuse. :-)

HeatherV said...

Absolutly beautiful! I love the colors and can see using it thoughout summer.

No finished for Friday for me this week, have been immersed in IVF retrival and the transfer yesterday.

Thanks for good fertile thoughts.

The Mother said...

Lovely, especially the purple ones.

Quilts and Cats said...

RE: Hanging door topper: I sewed a 2" sleeve 2" down from the top and 2" in from each side. Take an old yardstick and cut it so it's 2" longer than the sleeve and drill a hole on each side 1/2" in. Slide the ruler in the sleeve and mark holes in wall for nails and Bingo you're good to go!!

Coloradolady said...

This is beautiful. Very pretty. Love the colors. Great job.

Laura said...

Very cool. Congrats for getting it finished up!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs