Monday, August 17, 2009

Misfiring

How do toddlers do it? Pull themselves up, let go, and just walk across the floor?

I'm wondering, because I find that I am right back there. A return check-up post hip-surgery has determined that my muscles are all firing in the wrong order, which explains why I walk with a bigger limp than a mad scientist's assistant.

So I have to learn how to walk. All over again. Again.

My kids cheer me on with the song from the Christmas movie "Just put one foot in front of the other mom!" I screw up my face in concentration and try to repeat the 47 parts of a step to myself: "heel lands, roll tibia in, roll knee in, soften hip, up and over the hip, weight forward. . ." I have no idea how tiny babies figure it out without a physical therapist coaching them through every muscle movement.

I watch movies and lose track of the plot because I can't stop thinking "look how easily everyone is just. . .walking!"

Someday I hope to be back to unconscious walking again. In the meantime, it makes me realize how much I probably take for granted every day of my life.

So tell me, where have you walked today? Let me enjoy a little vicarious strolling through you.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Laura said...

I was going to take the day off from my regular 3 mile stroll around NIH Campus but I think in your honor I better go.
Because you cannot.
But I hope you can soon!
And, I hope it's not too terribly uncomfortable to learn how again.
Peace to you.

The Mother said...

Funny how we take so much for granted, isn't it?

My mom said the same thing after her total hip. Now she's taking twenty mile hikes. She's almost 80.

SO--there's hope. Keep plugging.

LauraC said...

I pushed my boys in a jogging stroller for the 2 miles to day care. I ran it the whole way, even the uphills. And then walked two miles home listening to my music, enjoying the weather before it gets cold here.

Thank you for helping me not to take this for granted.

I've learned this lesson lately as I am going through a skin cancer "scare" at age 35! I'm not taking any part of my health for granted!

I can't find my blog said...

I walked the kids to school, then went for about 2 miles or a little more-through the streets and horse trails in our neighborhood. Although, after reading this I feel a little guilty about it. Hope you're walking better soon!

Burbank Babe said...

I walked up stairs from the parking garage to my office and fumbled in my bag for my office keys the whole way.

I didn't realize until now just how complicated that was for me to do and I didn't even fall over.

Imagine what it would be like if we had to "learn" food digestion all over again.

You can do this. You've given birth three times!. I have faith in you.

Burbank Babe said...

Oh, one more thing.

You have to walk in Disneyland. No pressure or anything, but it misses you.

Patty said...

I walked around the kitchen today. I was tired of sitting in my desk chair and at eye level with the counter. Do you know how many crumbs I notice then? I live with slobs. I know you will soon be walking again and I will too. Then I'll drive up your way and we can take a walk together to buy embroidery floss. Or vodka. Oh and I can pick up my quilt. (Hang in there!)

monica said...

Good luck with your walking. I haven't walked anywhere today but love the idea! Hang in there. Love that your children are doing the little cheer for you!

Claremont First Ward said...

I haven't really thought about how I take walking for granted. I'm so sorry that you have to relearn...hugs!

magda said...

Today was Teddy's first day on a boat and at the beach, so he was walking into and out of the waves.

Are you able to get into a pool? I notice that Teddy experiments in the pool and then attempts things at home with greater success than when he only tries at home.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs