Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Communication

Love does no consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

These early teen years are enough to try the patience of a saint. I know that if I can get past the backtalk, grunts, and rolling eyes, I will find my sweet little children who were here recently. But these moments pass, and I'm so grateful for all the good moods we do share. I have found an unexpected ally in the war for civility. Her blank expression hides the fact that she is in charge of everyone in the house.

I had no idea the power kittens could have over all of us. We have a common object of affection, and a common target to yell at when she's naughty. We laugh together at the sheer silliness of kitten playtime. We share the tasks of cleaning the catbox and feeding the cats without complaint.

Our old cats were wonderful and held great significance to me, but I think the timing has just been perfect to have these new pets in our lives. That tiny silly face belongs to a mighty warrior who has brought down some barriers between the generations. I am so grateful.

3 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Karen said...

The teen years don't last too long and then they become people again. Hang in there.

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

They do become people again as Karen said and it is such a joy to have them back and to speak to one another as adults (although everyone once in awhile the teenager sneaks back again!). Kittens and cats are amazing creatures.

Quiltsmiles said...

Enjoy them while they're there even though it is tiring. Hoping you are on the mend and not wobbling. I noticed al the hocus pocus are finished, but I didn't notice a photo of the last black stitched.
Are you going to leave the nine patch with the ere on it? I think it needs to be left since it's a little bit of black magic captured during the project. Tee Hee
Happy stitchin, laundry....
Jane

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs