Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Balloon Chairs

The approach of Thanksgiving reminds me that I can share my dining chairs for VTT. I have six of these balloon-back chairs, which were very popular from the 1830s to 1850s, although I do not know the exact dates these were made. The seats are horsehair covered with leather.

I love their graceful curves and simple style. I do warn the kids not to squirm in them too much though. I'd cry if one of them broke. As it is, I think the seats will need some restoration in the future, and maybe some needlepoint covers to complete the Victorian style.

Vintage Thingy Thursday is hosted by Suzanne at Colorado Lady. Visit her every week to take a tour of interesting pieces of the past.



Join me tomorrow for Finished for Friday! (and did you notice how I managed to get in one more picture of my Hocuspocusville quilt? It's coming down after Thanksgiving to go into storage until next year. I'm enjoying every minute of it while I can.)

14 people stopped folding laundry to write:

marian said...

your chairs are magnificent..your kitty's adorable too!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh that I WERE home folding laundry!

One question - - - is the kitty vintage too?

Postcardy said...

Your chairs are very nice, and so is your cat.

concretenprimroses said...

Your chairs are lovely and beautifully cared for.
Your kitty looks a lot like my little Zorro! Love the quilt hanging behind too!
Kathy

concretenprimroses said...

I meant to say also I have your button on my blog to inspire me to finish certain projects, hope to post on a Friday soon!

★Carol★ said...

I've never heard of balloon-back chairs! Yours are gorgeous! I love the shape of them. We've got an old Duncan Phyfe set in the dining room, and the chairs squeak up a storm. I always feel like it's a matter of time before they fall apart! Love that quilt behind the chair too. And of course the kitty!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Coloradolady said...

I have never seen chairs like this, they are beautiful..and don't worry about the one more picture of the quilt...that was a lot of work and should be displayed proudly....maybe leave it up and hang Christmas lights around it! Joking...but seriously, as much work as you put into that quilt...it should hang proud!!

Have a great VTT and a wonderful holiday week ahead!

Unknown said...

Wow! These are incredible! I would have a REALLY hard time letting anyone sit in them! But things back then were made to last! How lucky you are to have these! Thanks for sharing the photo!

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, these chairs are amazing! I think they are so beautiful. But then again I love chairs :-) Happy VTT

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Debbie said...

The chair is beautiful. And I love your photo setting: quilt background and adorable kitten under the chair!

Maureen said...

A girl after my heart. I absolutely love your chairs. Such beautiful curvy lines.

My Grama's Soul said...

Beautiful chairs and they are in such great shape.
Old things are the best!

Happy VTT,

Jo

Roslyn said...

Beautiful graceful lines on these chairs.

Miri said...

Beautiful, beautiful chairs!

And I like the quilt too! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs