Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finished for Friday: Lady of Milkweed Manor

Today's finish is another excellent book.  Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen.  This it the debut novel by this editor turned author and can be categorized as Christian fiction, although the references to faith were few and subtle and not any reason to avoid this book if you are not Christian.

Lady of Milkweed Manor

Charlotte Lamb is a young 18th century woman who is turned out of her family's house when she becomes pregnant.  The details of her predicament unfold slowly as we read of her lonely journey to a home for unwed mothers in London.  There she discovers the unseen world of foundlings, wet nurses and childbirth.  The book is well-researched and full of fascinating detail about the plight and resourcefulness of women at this time.

Charlotte is a strong and sympathetic character. Abandoned by the baby's father, she nevertheless refuses to reveal his identity to her family or friends.  The choices she faces are formidable and at times heartbreaking.  There is redemption however, in many forms.  There are a number of men she encounters who have the potential to become suitors and keep her from a future of poverty.  The reader is kept guessing until the final chapter, which has a satisfying, and unpredictable ending.

I think mothers in particular would enjoy this book.  It explores the bond of infant care and breastfeeding in a new way.  I felt a kinship and sisterhood with the women in this book.  I look forward to reading more works by this author, including The Apothecary's Daughter.  Both of these books have been bestsellers at Amazon.




What have you finished up this week?  Read any good books lately?  Leave your link below, feel free to grab my button and be sure and visit all the wonderful creative people who link up here.

9 people stopped folding laundry to write:

The Mother said...

I cleaned out the homeschool closet--my kid finished 8th grade today, and I finished homeschooling!

Anonymous said...

thank you for hosting the party! I look forward to seeing everyone's projects! The book sounds wonderful -- I will add it to my list.

concretenprimroses said...

The book sounds good!
Kathy

Cheryl Lage said...

Oooh! That book does sound like one I'd enjoy...Hmm....haven't finished much this week save a week of LOTS of overtime hours...

Maybe I'll treat myself to this book as a treat! ;)

Have a great weekend, ThreeUnder!

Barbara Jean said...

thanks for hosting.

blessings

barbara jean

Miri said...

Thanks for the book review...I've heard of the Apothecary's Daughter. I'll check our library for anything by this author-I might get lucky!

Unknown said...

i dislike folding laundry so here I am , just found you today, I love you blog name, I too love books and I will link up after I fold some laundry but I am your newest follower come visit me if you have time
http://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com

Roslyn said...

Thanks for the book review it sounds like one I would enjoy I love historical novels.

Lindsay-ann said...

I finally had something to share on your Finished For Friday linky!
Hope I did it ok.
This sounds a great book. I will have to look out for it. I just finished Forget Me Not by Vicki Hinze. It was a great read.
Have a lovely weekend.
Lindsay
x

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs