Thursday, June 24, 2010

Finished for Friday: Amelia and Clara

Welcome back to Finished for Friday.  My finishes this week include a book and another ornament.



This was a fun read. Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.  The main character, Amelia Peabody, is a Victorian woman of means who decides to travel through Egypt and indulge her interest in archeology.  She's a spunky heroine who doesn't shy from using her parasol as a weapon to clear a crowd.

The pursuit of antiquities leads to a mystery, some romance, and some excellent descriptions of Egypt.  The mystery wasn't particularly difficult to figure out, but the action kept up at a good pace.  Indiana Jones would have been proud.




In the crafty department, I finished another ornament for next Christmas; Clara from the Nutcracker.  This one will be for Drama Girl.  It's beaded with tiny beads and I had to use a magnifier to do it.  Fun but a lot of work for such a tiny piece.

What have you been up to this week?  Please read the guidelines in the link at the top of the page.  Then link up and show us what you've been up to.  Thanks for joining in!

11 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Cheryl Lage said...

Holy cow! You must have the amazing tag team pairing of spot-on eyesight and highly honed fine motor skills!

Impressive!

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That ornament is beautiful! Nice work! And your book sounds fun. I'll put it on my list. Thanks!

Patty said...

I love that little nutcracker. My problem with beads is finding a needle skinny enough to go through them. By the way, you've inspired me to head back to organizing and putting away the pile of stuff I removed from the bedroom floor yesterday/today. I'm still not finished with it but maybe I will be done by next Friday.

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Love the ornament... my daughter would love it to. She was Clara at her last recital in December :)

Lisa said...

I am so impressed with the beading- that takes a lot of patience. The kids will remember these things, though, so that time is well spent. It's very cute!

Miri said...

Beautiful ornament! I can just see the beads catching the light from the tree lights.

Sounds like my kind of book! Victorian, mystery and archaeology-who could ask for more.

This month I started reviewing books once a week-Tuesday's Tomes-and I've added a Linky for other reviews.

Maggy, Red Ted Art said...

Very organized to slowly do Christmas ornaments throughout the year! Lovely!

Thank you for hosting!

Maggy

The Mother said...

I think I finally finished my hysteria research.

I have a cross stitch sampler I started in 1974. It's still not done.

L Simonson said...

Thanks so much for hosting! I am happy I found you. I have added your party to my Linky Love Library page on my blog.

~Lori@live,laugh,love,create :)
{paisleyinspirations}

Claremont First Ward said...

I've been loving seeing what you are reading on goodreads. :)

Laura said...

I LOVE all of Elizabeth Peter's books about Amelia Peabody! I wanted to be an Egyptologist when I was in High School and every time I read one of her books I regret not following that dream.

Then of course I remember how much I hated archaeology field school, and come to my senses.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs