Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why I Might Love You

Today I read a disturbing piece with the title "Why I Might Hate You."  It was published anonymously, and I wont link up to it.  It made me decide to unsubscribe from that website on facebook.  They are doing an interesting experiment allowing anonymous posts, but any title like that is not something I want to see on my facebook wall.  That's my happy place.

It made me think about the nature of anonymous posting.  Most readers of my blog do not know my real name.  I am attempting to allow my children some privacy from present and future googling.  There are (what I think are) adorable pictures of them when they were very small.  I try not to post any pictures that may be potentially embarrassing but that's in the eye of the beholder.  I try to tell our family stories with love.

The post I read today made me remember that while I write alone, what I write can reach many many people I will never meet.  So let me just say it right now:

I might love you.

If you read my blog and don't roll your eyes, I might love you.
If you're fat or thin or struggling or sick or sad, I might love you.
If you're the same political party I am, or on the other side, I might love you.
If you watch TV all day or turn it off like I do, I might love you.

If you comment, I love you.

If you talk on the phone or worse, text while driving, I am concerned for you and the people on the road with you.  I might still love you.  I would like the chance to try to convince you to change this habit.

If you post a picture of my daughter on some strange website and I end up getting thousands of hits on that picture so that I have to take it down, I hate you.

Are we clear?

Hate is a big word.  Use it carefully.  "Anonymous" is a big cloak.  It also must be used carefully.

9 people stopped folding laundry to write:

I can't find my blog said...

I had the same reaction when I saw one of their other posts. While I have no problem with anonymous posts I'm not sure I like the way they are doing it. It seems like it's for shock factor and not necessarily for real issues.

Unknown said...

Lovely. I don't know the site you're referring to but I never understand anonymous people who try to spread hate. Thanks for your sweet post - much nicer.

Helen

Lynn E. said...

I love you too.

Alisa said...

I just saw it before I saw your post. Disgusting. As the daughter or a morbidly obese mother, I have lived with these prejudices all my life. My mother is perhaps the most sweet and caring person ever. She has had weight issues her entire life. That does not detract from her beauty. As people, we should spend more time building each other up. Maybe the world would be a nicer place that way?

The Mother said...

I agree on all counts. Anonymity, in my book, is only to protect the kids from ridicule/assumptions/whatever. I don't claim it for myself, because I really don't care what other people think of me.

That said, even in the anonymous cloak, reasonable societal behavior standards apply.

Knitty said...

Good for you for unsubscribing! There is way too much hate, too much intolerance, too much pointing at fingers to say look how different you are in a bad way instead of looking at how alike we are in good ways.

Patty said...

I love this post and I love you too.

Snowcatcher said...

I love your twist on the hate post. I wish more people had your attitude!

I answered your Round 1 question on my blog because I didn't know any other way to contact you. You do need 12 dc in the starting round, however you arrive there. Thanks for noticing my omission!

Parsley said...

Great post!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs