Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Needlework Tuesday: Crows

I'm almost done with my Henrietta Whiskers quilt.  I had to add the final borders before I can attach the last few applique crows.


Here's the top half, with the crows and stars pinned on.  I really don't like crows in real life - they seem to bully the songbirds out of the yard.  One of my kids told me they can recognize a human face up to two years later.  That's just creepy.  I'd hate to have a crow mad at me. 






I'm also stealing moments at my sewing machine to continue making blue stars for the patriotic quilt I started.  It's amazing to me the fabrics that I can find in my stash that I've forgotten about.  Luckily these stars only require very small pieces so I'm able to use up some of the scraps I have around. 

Stealing time to sit and sew is certainly therapeutic for me.  I learned yesterday that an old family friend passed away in his sleep.  We never expect to hear bad news, but it is so good to have comforting things to turn to to keep the mind and hands busy as we work through life and grief.  When my brother died, one of my sisters-in-law prepared pot after pot of tea.  It wasn't necessary, but it was comforting, and it was something to do in those hours of sadness.  Today I'll make tea too I think.

2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Melissa said...

I like the fabric in the new blue star.

The unexpected loss of someone close tears at the fabric of one's reality.

Heather said...

So sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. When my nephew passed away, I crocheted doilies and my mom made pillowcases as well as a mourning quilt.

Love your quilt. It is looking terrific. Will add a link in my post.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs