Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The evening view

On Wednesday evenings, if I play my cards right, I have a free hour or so while Drama Girl and Jungle Boy are at ballet and Wasabi Girl is at gymnastics.  On this Wednesday night, I put my feet up, put on some Chopin and immersed myself in my stitching project.  My mind went pleasantly blank for the first time all week.  I was having a moment of bliss.

I snipped a thread and looked up, and out the window which is right next to my chair.  What did I see just inches from my nose?


Somebody was eating my roses.  Forgive the fuzzy picture - I took this one through the screened window.

I opened up the sliding glass door and took a few more shots as he slowly started walking off.


His antlers still have their velvet on them.  He wasn't particularly scared of me, but the sound of the camera clicking got his attention.  I gently shooed him out of the yard and closed the gate so he can't return and eat the rest of my roses.  It was my fault this time that the gate was open.

I love our local wildlife - as long as they don't dump our garbage cans or eat the roses.  Do you have any interesting creatures roaming around your neighborhood?

5 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Handmade Redhead said...

He's lovely! The only wildlife around my apartment are the drunks who live in the next building over, skunks, possums, raccoons, squirrels, snakes, and other rodents. One of my cats insists on bringing in the smaller things to share with me.

Nanabanana said...

We have a lot of deer also. We have tried everything to keep them from eating our roses. (Sadly, they are NOT protected by a fence!) We also have a lot of turkeys, squirrels and the occasional coyote and fox.

Melissa said...

I love the photo through the glass - adds a bit of mystery.

We have lots and lots of birds and rodents - ironically, though we live just blocks from the creek - nothing ever wanders up to the house...

Rosemary said...

He's a gorgeous creature. Here on the farm in Australia we have our very own resident mob of kangaroos, possums, the odd echidna and a huge amount of birdlife including a couple of different breeds of wild ducks, galahs, blue wrens, grass parrots, eagles, hawks, harriers and other burds of prey and seed eaters. The seed eaters keep my Bengal cat busy at the widows chattering to them, inviting them inside so she can greet them personally. So far they have all refused her invititations.

Tami said...

Awesome! I get possums and turkeys in my yard. Wish I got something as beautiful as this.

Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs