Sunday, November 22, 2015

Timing is Everything



I keep a lot of notes in my calendar that repeat every year.  I've coordinated our family celebrations through so many holidays now that I have a system that works.  This year, everything is conspiring to defeat my system.

Take the amaryllis pictured above.  See how it's sitting in a turkey basket?  It's supposed to only be a few inches high.  I got the memo in mid-October to put in my amaryllis bulb order.  If I start them the third week of October, they always bloom just before Christmas.  I decided to just buy a bulb locally this year and look what happened.  It's in glorious full bloom already.  The blooms last a long time, but it wont last until Christmas.  Looks like I should have stuck with my original plan.

I spent a while putting together my Thanksgiving shopping list.  I planned to go early on Sunday morning and pick out most of my groceries before the crowds hit.  I took Wasabi Girl along nice and early - and the store was so crowded we had to hunt through the parking lot just to find a cart.  Who are these people?  They were supposed to sleep in while I browsed the aisles.  Note to self: Go in the middle of the night next year.

I even time out my cooking schedule so my Thanksgiving meal all gets to the table at the same time and everything is hot.  This year Jungle Boy will be working his job at the movie theater in the evening so we'll have to move dinner up to 2:30 in the afternoon.  This throws me a little.  But it will all be for the best in the evening when I can put my feet up and eat leftovers.  Makes for a different but still fun day.

Christmas trees are showing up in tree lots around town already.  I think it's pretty optimistic to expect them to last through Christmas.  How early do you get your tree?  Seeing all the green lots really puts me in the Christmas spirit.  Good luck to all those people who buy them this week!

Finally, a number of household products have all decided to run out at once.  My soap ran out in the bathroom - so I had to open up my Christmas-scented soap.  My "Autumn" room fragrance ran out in my bathroom  - so I had to pop in the Christmas one.  The car scent also ran out - guess what I replaced it with?  And last but not least, I had to use my gravy baster to help clear water out of a drain, and it finally developed a crack in the rubber and became useless.  Good timing though, I would hate to find that out on Thursday when I'm trying to cook the turkey.

So forces are conspiring to tell me that the Christmas season is upon us this week.  Can't really fight it any longer.  I'm ready!

2 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Rosemary said...

Oh dear. I hope things even out for you soon so you can relax and enjoy the holiday season. It's such a busy time of year for you all in the US. Here we just have Christmas to concentrate on.

Tami said...

I love that you have such a wonderful plan. I, too, have a specific menu for Thanksgiving and a process/schedule for getting it all completed. This year we went to our son's house and his girlfriend did things totally different. Shocking!!! Good lesson for me in letting go of my strict plans.

We gave up on having live Christmas trees because we normally end up traveling for Christmas and the tree was a dry mess by the time we got home. The up side to artificial trees is that I can put it up as early as I like - but it just doesn't have the same feel to it. But - even though we don't have to travel so much for parents and in-laws any more - we now have to travel for adult kids. So I guess I'm resigned to a fake tree forever.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas season.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs