Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Bay Bridge Plate


I have quite a few pink Staffordshire transferware souvenir plates and this is one of my favorites. I know when you think "San Francisco," you think "Bay Bridge." Or maybe not. That's what makes this plate so funny to me. The iconic Golden Gate Bridge is in the lower left, and the less than gorgeous Bay Bridge is featured in the middle.

It was the longest bridge ever built when it was completed in 1936. This plate probably dates from that year. My father-in-law was driving on this bridge when part of it collapsed during the Loma Prieta earthquake. He walked off with all the other stranded drivers, and retrieved his car later when it had been towed. There was no turning around and driving back possible that day.



Vintage Thingies Thursday is hosted by Colorado Lady. Give her a visit and see who else has vintage items to show.

Tomorrow is "Finished for Friday." Get ready to join in and show something that you've accomplished this week. And don't forget to enter my giveaway for a pair of troll totes!

8 people stopped folding laundry to write:

JEWELGIRL said...

This is a beautiful plate! Love the
artwork on it and your historic story. He was a lucky man to have
walked away!

What A Card said...

That's a neat plate! And it kind of makes sense to have the less famous bridge in the middle...it'd be covered with food!

And how scary for your FIL. I'm sure that would inspire a fear of bridges for me!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

A history lesson thrown in for free. Thanks. That was great!!

Anonymous said...

I swear everytime I drive on the bottom tier of the Bay Bridge I get the chills.

I was downtown in the city at the wharf that day when the quake struck. It took me 3 days to get out of the city as our car had been smashed in a parking garage. It's a wonder I still can myself to go back to the city.

Coloradolady said...

What a beautiful plate and story...try the link again, it is there, I think! Thanks for sharing your pretty plate!

Unknown said...

That is "funny" about the bridges. Thanks for the history, I always like learning something new.

Debbie said...

Oh that is gorgeous. What a treasure to have!

Lindsay-ann said...

Yes when I think San Franciso I always think Bay Bridge. It's a beautiful plate and a beautiful place.
Best wishes
Lindsay

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs