Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer Reading for Overachievers

Summer's here, and my book-buying disease has flared up to meet it. I'm a bargain-hunter, and lucky to live in a neighborhood where my neighbors read good books and instantly drop them off at the local thrift store. Their $26 investment is my $1 steal. The stack in the picture doesn't look too bad, unless I tell you that it's only the overflow from a long shelf of unread books. I intend to read all of them, but maybe not this summer.

My kids have inherited the good half of my book-consumption gene. They actually read every book that interests them. Jungle Boy and Drama Girl in particular, read to the point of obsession. We're talking multiple books in a day. Sounds like a good problem until it's yours. I've had to take books away because they got in the way of participating with the family or eating a meal. I've had to make rules like "Don't read while you're walking" and when the Harry Potter craze got out of control, I had to lay down the law "No reading Harry Potter in the house." It made them put on their shoes and get some fresh air as they took their books outside. Mine are the kids who read under the covers with a flashlight.

I rarely read aloud to the kids these days, unless it's to entice Drama Girl to read Dickens. I wanted to figure out a way to continue our shared reading experience though, so I asked the kids to make a list of books they thought I should read. For those, like me who haven't read children's literature lately, I can tell you that there seem to be a lot more great books for young people than when I was young and haunting the library. My kids came up with a list of about 30 books that they can't believe I haven't read yet.

The first book I've started is from Wasabi Girl's list and I have actually read it before. "Little House in the Big Woods." It's better than I remember. It's like an old friend. I'll probably finish it today and start on Matilda, from Drama Girl's list.

Pass the Almond Roca, it's summer reading time.

17 people stopped folding laundry to write:

What A Card said...

What a fun idea! I love children's and YA lit. And I love your big ol' stack of books...what fun summer plans!

Unknown said...

I just reread the Little House books not long ago! It was like finding an old friend again, so comforting! Do you mind sharing some of the other selections on the list? We just got new library cards and I'd love to get some YA books for lazy, easy summer reading!

Liz Jimenez said...

Oh, I loved Little House as a kid. I read and re-read that series over and over. Until I got older and moved onto the Babysitters' Club... :-)

Threeundertwo said...

I wasn't sure if people wanted to see the whole long list, but I'll type it up and date it so it falls under this post(make sense?).

Laura said...

As an English teacher, this post is music to my ears.
And, this morning I was thinking of taking a stroll to the library to see what I'll be reading this summer. You've inspired me to actually do it...gotta love a house that reads.

Anonymous said...

I adore Little House in the big woods...I just love it.

magda said...

I got hooked on using goodreads last summer to keep track of what books I've read and which I'd like to read. I can also log in at the library and have my reading list ready to check against the catalog.

Shawn said...

That's a rather ambitious pile you've got there! I started a few of those and didn't get far. Reading Lolita in Tehran, however, is one of my favorites of all time and one I definitely need to reread. I hope my girls are voracious readers like your kids are ... I know they cherish books right now. Hope that sticks.

zakkalife said...

I hope my kids develop a love for reading.

I was curious about the list too.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

There are some really good YA books out there. Most of the books in my pile are adult fiction, though. Like yours, my pile keeps growing and growing. Thanks to Paperback Swap, it has been growing really fast. I'm hardly making a dent in it!

Cheryl Lage said...

Love that image...and the Little House books...all of 'em!

My nightstand is crazy tall right now...I have to keep moving my alarm clock higher and higher!

Re-read Charlotte's Web recently, too...still makes me cry!

He-Twin is sent to his room for She-Twin injuries he inflicts...now, he just goes up and reads...which to my view, solo reading time is a privilege. Gotta rethink punishments Chez Lage!

great post!

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

I have the book-buying disease too! My husband has to hold me back from book stores!

Sammi T. said...

I wish my kids read more. Its a battle to get them to open a book. Dad loves to read but they take after me. I like headlines. Some of these just may perk up their interest.

Punkster said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only mom around with reading rules! If I didn't make them I fear I would never have the chance to speak to my child! It is a good problem to have but still...

Elizabeth said...

I'm partial to the REDWALL series...got lost in it a few years ago. Reading Farmer Boy to the munchkins now...Knowing NY state fairly well, that's lots of fun. I wouldn't read the "His Dark Materials" stuff...that guy is scarey...want to make athiests out of the children who read his books (He's actually said this in interviews) Partial too, to re-reading Tolkien regularly!
Planning a Fanny Flagg attack this summer!
Blessings, E

Kristi said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My 12-year-old would sneak books into his desk at school to read when he was supposed to be doing something else. His teachers were flustered that they had to constantly take books away from him. And you have to raise your voice so he actually hears you, and then force him to put the book down so he can follow directions. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ya lit... awesome!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs