Sunday, August 24, 2008

Counting Down the Hours till School Starts

This is Drama Girl's locker. Somehow, she has to fit a gigantic backpack in here, along with a lunch bag, numerous notebooks, sweatshirts, PE clothes. This is her space, so I didn't say anything. I thought the frogs taped to the door were a nice touch, but I have my doubts as to whether all those Littlest Pet Shop magnet toys will stay on the top.

I'm sure I wasn't half this insane when I was entering seventh grade. Of course, it helps that I've completely forgotten what I kept in my locker.

Poor Wasabi Girl had tears in her eyes on registration day. She's getting a new locker and it's not ready yet, so she couldn't unload her big bag of decorations and magnets.

Jungle Boy has a locker on the bottom row. When he was practicing his combination he closed the door part way, and the bottom corner stuck out. I tapped it with my foot, then I realized what I had demonstrated.

"Don't ever kick your locker!"

Too late. I saw the gleam in his eyes. Bad mommy.

Monday morning, I will do something new and wonderful for me; I will drop off three children at the same school at the same time. This hasn't happened in years.

Then I will come home and sit. In my nice quiet house. Just sit. Aaaaah.

18 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Eileen said...

So exciting.. for everyone. I have dreams about my locker.. that I can never remember the combination. But no one decorated theirs like that in those days. Love the pet shop creatures up there.. that is very cute.
All three of mine were in the same school building one year. I wanted that to last forever.
You will enjoy your quiet day.. but it will go really fast.

Laura said...

Do they ever do "Locker Showcases" in that school? Hers would definitely be the recipient of oooohs and ahhhhh's. Very cute.
I think after you drop the kids off for school, you should have yourself a shallow People Magazine and latte morning-

Anonymous said...

Heaven! I still have to go to two different schools, and the little one is only in school for two hours, but I'm also excited to have the house to myself, even for such a brief time...

Anonymous said...

That is a beautifully decorated locker! Here we don't really decorate, I don't know why - there's so much fuss about everything else (clothes, backpacks, etc - you know the drill!)...Also the lockers are about twice as long as your daughter's, I don't know how the school thinks she can get a backpack in there.

Our school starts Sept 2 and boy howdy I am off to the central library (what a thrill-seeker I am!) - can't wait!

Of course then the projects and homework and social interactions start up...

Enjoy your quiet house! I remember when I first had both of mine in school. I did a little happy dance in the silence.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Seriously jealous of that last part. Cute locker stuff. I decorated mine with the most random stuff I could find, kind of anti-locker decoration style...

Just found out my two Elem age kids will finish the school day at two different times! Now THAT is lame.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for me it's Wednesday...quiet time galore! Yahoo!

Dressing up the locker is so important, I almost forgot!

Patty said...

I don't remember ever decorating our lockers but I do know that getting one in the middle row was a total score. I'm passing on a an award to you -- I very much appreciate your visits to my blog. Enjoy your quiet house tomorrow!

What A Card said...

Wow, so cute! And wow, school starting. I'm still in a little bit of denial that my boys start school for the very first time in a few weeks.

Enjoy the excitement of all the kids in one school!

Cheryl Lage said...

I dare not show Sarah the impressive shelter full of Littlest Pets. ;)

We start back up next Tueday, the 2nd.

Think I may take Laura's suggestion, or else just get a bit of work done -- without Huckleberry Hound in the background...

Amy said...

yep, sitting at home in the peace and quiet, I know just what you mean except I head off to work after my children to go school lol

Coloradolady said...

What a cute locker...now how functional it will be that is another thing..but wait, it does not have to be functional in the mind of a young teen right?

Oh, I remember those days, it was fun. The first day of school. Then, the first day of complete silence for a few hours.

Unknown said...

The school where I work has long skinny lockers and the large backpacks don't fit. Most of the kids have very few decorations, just pictures, no toys!

Nancy said...

WOW! What happened to full-sized lockers?

Her's is super cute though :) I remember taking a lot of time to decorate mine...it had to be *just* right. Yep. I was cool ;) LOL

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! Wow! Hope you have a fabulously wonderfully relaxing morning tomorrow after you drop them off. WOOOHOOO!

Beth said...

Back to school already?! Where did the summer go? Hope you enjoy your peace and quiet! (I'm sure you will.)

~Beth

Claremont First Ward said...

How was that glorious drop off? I DID not know that Littlest Pet Shop figures were magnetic!

Texasholly said...

I want a locker full of those magnets...way cute. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

We dropped out first born at school for the first time on monday... she kicked us outta her class... it's her place. No lockers yet, just cubbies.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs