Friday, March 6, 2009

Checking In

I'm typing this right-handed because I can't balance my laptop on my lap and use both hands while my leg machine is going. It's a bit of a challenge.

The surgeon was not able to do everything he had hoped to do because once he got into the hip joint there was too much arthritis. He was able to sculpt down the bones and remove the torn cartilage. We'll know how successful the surgery was at reducing pain in about 6 months.

You know you have a great husband when you wake up the night after surgery and throw up all over the place and he cheerfully cleans up you, and the floor, and changes the sheets. I am going to make him lots of extra batches of his favorite chocolate chip cookies when I'm better.

You know you have great friends when they set up a parade of dinners delivered to your door. Nothing tastes better than food made with love like that. I am so grateful.

I met my physical therapist today. She's very kind but after a whole hour of "we're going to do this until it hurts," I was ready to start whimpering. Luckily the session included some massage and some ice at the end.

And what have I got to show for all this big painful surgery? Four little band-aids, covering four tiny holes in my hip. Just amazing.

17 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Patty said...

I'm glad you were able to post something and give us an update. Did you mark the six month anniversary on your calendar yet and start drawing large X's as the days go by? Hang in there!

Alisa said...

Hope your recovery is quick! You do have an amazing support system. I'll give you a hint about the PT, just pretend like it hurts before it really does. You may never recover full motion, but just think of all the pain you'll save yourself.

Take care and know that we're all thinking of you and wishing the best for you!

What A Card said...

Glad to hear from you! Hope the recovery continues to go well and that you see great improvement!

Gerb said...

I hope you have a speedy recovery! If I lived close enough I'd bring you some comfort food and a nice cheesecake. (It's the thought that counts, right?)

Dena said...

Thanks for taking a sec to check in, I've been thinking about you lots lately! Glad you're feeling better even if just a little! ;)

Liz Jimenez said...

That's incredible how much they can do just using teeny, tiny incisions.

I hope your recovery goes quickly and successfully, and that your Nurse Ratchet isn't too mean. :-)

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

isn't technology just amazing! glad that you made it through surgery + hoping for a quick recovery with as little pain as possible.

FaithChick said...

I am so sorry you have to go through that but hope that you get the relief that you need.

Sending lots of healing prayer your way.

HeatherV said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are home with the best support team ever. I hope you contiune to heal and that in the long term you have more mobility.

Sending you good healing thoughts(as well as my famous mac and cheese if it would travel through my laptop)

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post. You have been on my mind. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Get better quick!!

Cathi said...

I'm glad you were able to post. Hope the therapy gets easier and easier as you heal.

Lindsay-ann said...

Glad to hear you got through your op and are being looked after so well by your husband and friends. Hope you are soon feeling much better and not in so much pain.
Sending you a hug and prayers.
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing well. I hope in the end you feel much better!

Christy said...

What a great husband and friends you have! That will make your recovery so much better! Glad the kids are helping out! I hope you have a speedy recovery and you are back to baking cookies soon!
Take Care!

Laura said...

Sounds like you are on the highway to healing.
I like that.

Jules said...

Glad to hear you have so much help! It is great to have a husband that will do that for you, that's exactly how my hubby is. I love him dearly!
...and good friends like that are hard to find! You are very blessed!

Take care & heal up fast!! ;0)

Claremont First Ward said...

What a great husband. I'm sorry PT was so hard.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs