Wednesday, March 11, 2009

That Paper Clip on the Floor

That paper clip has been there for a week now. Not only can I not bend down to pick it up, but nobody in the family has picked it up, which tells you something of the state of the floors around here.

They're all being flexible and rolling with a house where the mom is strapped to the bed all day. It's funny and endearing. My husband brought me a load of my laundry that he'd done. Despite my carefully detailed outline of exactly how to do laundry, he forgot the dryer sheet. It was a basket full of static. He must have fried it in the dryer for a long time to get it that crackly. I have to laugh. But at least he did it!

The twins are ecstatic because daddy took them out and got them matching cell phones. They spend every free hour texting eachother. At least they always check in with me as they get picked up by their various rides after school. Peace of mind and happiness all around.

I can hobble slowly on my crutches - which is why I keep seeing that paper clip - and I get to the table for meals. Eating in bed is so overrated. Who wants the crumbs?

A million thanks to my sister, who sent a box full of wonderful mindless cheesy paperbacks. I'm also getting some embroidery done.

Still battling pain management, especially at night, but there is definitely progress. The physical therapist has started using electric current to stimulate blood flow. I told the kids I'm going to get little bolts inserted in the sides of my neck for permanent pain relief. They almost believed me.


Enough typing. Time to go back to bed and get the leg in the machine again.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

The Mother said...

I've been putting my hubby's socks on for a week.

That paperclip is going to be sitting there for a LONG time.

Glad you're doing okay. My mom did that last year, SWEARS it was the best thing she's done. Wished she hadn't put it off so long.

Cynthia said...

I'm glad you are able to get up and around enough to notice the paperclip. You should start a pool here on the blog to see how long the clip stays on the floor for. I give it until...you are able to bend over and get it yourself! Kids and husbands are great but those little details are where mothers/wives excel!

Cheryl Lage said...

Paperclips be damned. We've got petrified pasta from eras gone by under our dining room table...and I've not had a lick of surgery.

You keep on mending, and ignore the occasional office supplies ill-placed. ;)

Have missed you...keep on healin'!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

that reminds me of bedrest when i was pregnant. i would drop something and just lay there staring at it, willing it to get off the floor. its way different now...my floors have cheerioes permanently glued to them. i couldn't pick them up if i tried. lol. that is good news that the pain is slowly becoming more manageable + that you are up and about. continued well wishes.

Patty said...

When I was recovering from my broken knee, I saw something on the bedroom floor that I HAD to pick up. Getting down there on the rug wasn't too diffcult but it took me forever to get back up without putting any weight on my bad leg. Dumbest thing I ever did. Well, next to breaking my knee in the first place. I say text the twins to come and pick up the paper clip. :)

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Thanks for the effort it takes to update us. Sounds like your support system is really rallying. Maybe someone will read your blog and pick up that paperclip for you! LOL! Take care. Still thinking and praying for you.

The Raggedy Girl said...

Take care of yourself...paperclips can wait!!!

Have a Terrific Thursday
from a Raggedy Roberta Anne

Laura said...

The paper clip experiment is a good one.
Maybe you should make that a post carnival.
How long will a paper clip stay on the floor?
BTW it's good to read that you are on the road to a healed you!!!

Coloradolady said...

Try not to worry about the paper clip.....rest and feel better...then go after the darn paper clip! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Libby's Library said...

OMGosh - I laughed so hard about putting bolts in your neck. When I had to have a thyroid lobectomy several years ago, I came home with a Frankenstien neck. Huge stitches that the doctor wanted left uncovered. Before the grand kids came over to visit, my husband glued bolts to my neck with Elmers' Glue, and then my youngest daughter made me up, to look like a zombie. You should have see the kids faces when they walked in.
Oh - this just gave myself a new post idea. THANKS

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs