Friday, March 20, 2009

Finished for Friday: A Shower

Lit and Laundry
There have been three great showers in my lifetime. Two of them were after giving birth. I swear that dinky little shower in the hospital was like a spa retreat. The third was last night, when I finally got to take a shower for the first time in over two weeks since my surgery

Heaven. Even if I did have to sit in a plastic garden chair because I couldn't stand up. It was actually sort of elegant that way, just sitting there, getting clean.

My stitches came out yesterday, and the surgeon went over the operation and showed me all the gory photos he took. I was fascinated (some of you may recall I used to work in a morgue). My hip joint was a real mess.

"All I want," I told him, "is for somebody to tell me that must have really hurt."

He looked at me and said, "Not only did that really hurt, you must be really really tough."

I'm just glad I'm through having to be tough. There's still pain, but I'm working through it, and my physical therapist is wonderful.

Happily, the other thing I'm finished with is the dreaded leg machine! Wheeeeee! I'm a free woman! I would do the happy dance - if I could.

I did finish some other things, but they pale by comparison. Let's see what you've been up to. I'm off to take another shower. . .

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

The Raggedy Girl said...

I so understand having to have someone tell you after surgery that what was wrong with you was real and painful...it goes a long way. Kudos on a great shower.

Have A Fantastic Friday
from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

HeatherV said...

I am with you on the post birth shower! Glad to hear you are continuing to heal and get stronger.

Not a super-productive week for me. I'm actually home with a sick child today, but I am holding out hope for a weekend of marking off the ever present to do list!

Des said...

I'm so glad you're on the mend. I hear ya on the shower. Congrats! I tried so hard to get a 'finish for Friday' done but alas.....i'm still finishing.........if i would leave the computer, that might help.

Liz Jimenez said...

Oh, hooray for a shower!! I remember the feeling of that first postpartum shower and how awesome it was, I can only imagine this was even sweeter. And congrats on being done with the medieval torture device, too! I hope you're starting to feel better. And I'm really glad you got some validation on what you went through.

DebD said...

whoo hoo on the real shower! What a wonderful treat. I'm happy for you you're finished with the torture machine. I thought you had to do that one for several months..

You used to work in the morgue? Very cool. I'd love to work in that field - someday. I find it fascinating.

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!!
I think the validation is just the best.
Hope the next shower feels just as good!
Blessings, E

Cheryl Lage said...

I knew you were tough! (But it is extra validating when a dr. concurs!)

Enjoy those spa-seated showers. :)

Nancy said...

WOO HOOOOO!!!! So happy for you :)

debi9kids said...

HOLY cow! You are a rock star! YEAH for stitches out! Glad you got to enjoy your shower!!!

What A Card said...

So happy that things are getting better! A shower! Woo Hoo! (Tell the truth...is your family celebrating this shower as well? ;)

I hope your recovery continues to progress QUICKLY! Take care!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs