Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Longest Yard

I focused on my goal, ignoring the screaming pain coming from my body. Every pore dripped sweat as I struggled to the finish. My breathing was hard and ragged.

My mind was no longer attached to my moving legs and feet. I achieved a clarity of purpose; the Zen of elite athletes. My whole being centered on keeping up my momentum. One foot in front of the other, their steady rhythm told me "don't stop, you can't stop!" Although alone for the moment, in my mind I heard cheering crowds as I neared the finish line.

I gasped as I crossed it, and nearly stumbled into a state of collapse. This was the hardest thing I have ever pushed myself to do in my life, but somehow, through sheer willpower, I did it.

Today I walked for five minutes on a treadmill.

12 people stopped folding laundry to write:

LauraC said...

YAY YAY YAY!!!! GO ThreeUnderTwo!

I had the same experience after my ear surgery. One week until I could walk one block without falling down or vomiting. Now I can run. I'm running a half marathon this week.

I know you will be that person, out there grabbing life by the horns when you are out of pain.

YAY AGAIN!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hhhhoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Way to go, my friend. Way to go!!

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I'm praying your rehab goes perfect so it will all be a distant memory you run across in your archives and think: "Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Wow. Look how far I've come."

Lisa said...

Oh, I am so proud of you! Your post really gave me a glimpse into what you are going through.

Really really good job. That sounds trite, but I don't mean it to be.

Cathi said...

I hope that each day gets a bit easier and that you can look back on this post in a few weeks and realize just how amazingly far you've come.

Laura said...

Wow.
That's huge.
I know that you have to push yourself to heal, but I am still feeling for you.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

yay!!! i know it is a rough road to recovery, but you are doing it!

FaithChick said...

Yeah!!! Go you!!! I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. Just keep focusing on the rainbow and not the storm.

Jules said...

Hope the healing gets out of the way sooner than what you expect! Keep up the great work! Keep you in my thoughts!!

Take care!! ;0)

The Mother said...

One foot in front of the other. Until you get where you're going.

Or die trying.

No, wait, that didn't sound very reasurring...

The Raggedy Girl said...

Yipee for you. I know all about this as after my back surgery I walked with walker down the driveway and then cried when I realized I had to walk back. Take care of yourself.

Have a Thankful Thursday
from Roberta Anne

Becca said...

Nice build-up on that story LOL. Just remember, one step (literally) at a time :)

magda said...

Go, you! Woohoo!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs