Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: Hubs

This is a typical day in our house. Somebody goes to make a sandwich for their lunch and complains that "there's no bread!" Here Jungle Boy is demonstrating the no bread phenomenon. All those bread bags? Contain the ends, which apparently are poisonous, because nobody eats them. My husband always calls the end of a loaf of bread "the hub" so now the kids call them that too.

Nobody eats the hubs from regular bread. But get some nice French bread from the store? Suddenly everyone is begging for the hub. Whatever.

Wordful Wednesday is hosted by Angie over at Seven Clown Circus. Go join her and read some great photo stories.

20 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

We have that exact problem! Love the picture!

Janine (@twincident) said...

HA! Hilarious! I'm always the one to eat the end...martyr that i am.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

We buy the same kind of bread.

The Mother said...

Leftovers, in general, are poisonous in my house.

Even before they grow mold.

magda said...

I learned from my husband that in Romania they're "elbows." Crazy Romanians. I like to save the heels and either use two to make a sandwich, or use one and fold it over for a quick snack.

An easy fix would be French toast. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would complain about French toast. (I know, difficult during Lent and Holy Week.)

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Whatev is right!!??
I like the french toast idea?

Cheryl Lage said...

Cheri must be my long lost sister...we too call them heels and they are the most coveted part of the loaf! ;)

(Maybe some ducks with growling tummies might like the hubs?)

Brittany said...

No one at my house will eat the first piece or the last.. Weird.. I don't know why!

Jen said...

Crazy I tell you. I am lucky b/c that is my Hubby's favorite part.

Muthering Heights said...

Hey, that's my favorite part!

I guess you could always make them in to bread crumbs...

Anonymous said...

Is that universal? I've had 3 or so but never that many! LOL

BabyonBored said...

I don't like ends either. But I love Barry Manilow and I stand by it!!!

Terra said...

We don't eat the hubs either but my dad called them butts. sorry!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! We've started using the hubs for breadcrumbs and croutons :)

Karen said...

I once worked for a daycare provider who was so cheap she would use the hubs of the bread on the kids' sandwiches but turn them inside out so the kids wouldn't know.

Eileen said...

Oh yes.. this looks like my cupboard too. But Mom taught me a trick.. I don't know if it will work for your bunch though. I just take the 'heels' and shave just that tiny little bit of brown on the one side off, then turn them with the good whites to the ouside and put cheese in the middle, butter the outsides and put on the griddle to make toasted cheese sandwiches.

I don't know anything about Greek Orthodox.. I'm going to go google. :-)

noble pig said...

I never felt bad about not eating the hubs until I saw an episode of Survivor and they were so hungry and they were thinking about all the ends of the bread they throw away. They would have done anything for those hubs. Then i felt guilty.

Patty said...

I always eat the hubs from rye bread or French or Italian bread but not from white or wheat.

Claremont First Ward said...

We always seem to be left with "hubs" here, too!

zakkalife said...

LOL, this looks very familiar. By the end of the week you'll find the same thing in our bread basket.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs