Monday, June 22, 2009

Like Christmas All Over Again

I'll have to admit my garden seems to be attaining it's heart's desire and reverting into a wilderness. I haven't been able to keep up with it due to my recent surgery and sadly, I haven't even wandered around it much.

So imagine my surprise when I walked past my pot cemetery on the side of the house a few days ago. Not only did I see the stacks of pots which have not been loaded with their annuals for this year, but I saw the amaryllis I had discarded after Christmas. It was ready to bloom again - proof that these things are so hardy they thrive on neglect.

If I had been organized after Christmas I would have carefully preserved the bulb in a paper bag someplace cool so it could go dormant until next Christmas. But just look what it did when it was abandoned in it's pot. It's gorgeous.

I wont tell it it's not Christmas if you don't.

(For those who like details, this variety is called "United Nations" and was purchased from The Amaryllis Bulb Company.)

5 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Patty said...

It's gorgeous!

Laura said...

What a beautiful flower!

Lisa said...

LOL! Ok, the thing that jumped out at me was "pot cemetary"... I wondered, "why would she BURY it? I thought that stuff was expensive...?"

Then I realized what you meant! LOL! Your amaryllis is gorgeous! My garden is not even up yet, so you're ahead of me.

monica said...

Very pretty flower!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Pretty. Oh so pretty.

Your profile says 1947 or something crazy like that. I know you can't be older than me but I do want to be you when I grow up. This green thumb without trying just reinforces that.

P.S. I couldn't find you on FB. If I had, I might not of left!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs