Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sometimes I Even Scare Myself

The last issue of Highlights. Ever. Gone are the days of hidden pictures and what's-wrong-with-this cartoon. Gone are the short stories and poetry snippets.

But look at this picture closely. What do you see? A magazine holder, labeled, full of back issues of Highlights magazines. As if my children would seek these out for reading material on a rainy day. Sometimes my delusions scare even me.

There's nothing wrong with Highlights - if you're waiting in a dentist's office and there is absolutely nothing else available to read. I'm sure many parents have urged their kids to pick it up and read it. But what sane parent actually subscribes to this magazine? For years.

Sometimes I'm amazed my kids have survived this long with me for a mom. What a crazy lady.

10 people stopped folding laundry to write:

What A Card said...

Hey, we have a Highlights and High Five subscription. I love those magazines! So do my boys...they read them to shreds (seriously, I don't know how you have any in condition to save!)

I'd love to be as organized as you...

The Calico Cat said...

So I should or should not get a subscription for my almost 1 year old...

owlfan said...

I guess I was a weird kid as I really enjoyed Hightlights. I had multiple (at least 5) years worth, all organized by month - and I would pull them out to find crafts and such. My little brother (as well as my boys) couldn't be bothered. Finally when I was about your kids ages, I passed my entire collection on to a much younger cousin.

Branlaadee said...

I begged my grandparent for a subscription to Highlights. After every doc appointment I'd bring home one of the floaters with the sub info. LOL Then they finally got the sub and I had moved on to 17 magazine. LOL

My kids never liked HighLights. They were into ZooBooks.

Dena said...

My mom got my kids the High Five subscription & the kids love them (to shreds also). Bug thinks its the coolest thing in the world because the magazines come in her name! :D

monica said...

I think I just signed my boys up for some type of magazine like that wonder if they will like it? I used to love highlights when I was a child!

Anonymous said...

I loved highlights! My mom would always do the hidden picture puzzle with me.

JEWELGIRL said...

When the Highlights are no longer the
kid's magazine of choice you know
the kids are growing up. :(
I always read Highlights at the Elementary library at my school.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I LOVED Highlights and had my own subscription. I even wrote in to them once, with a fabricated story, hoping my name would appear on their hallowed pages. Instead, I received a letter back with the 'advice' I had sought.

I wonder if my son would like them...

Eileen said...

You are not the only one who loves them. I haven't subscribed in a while because my kids are all in their late 20's-30's.. but I know.. there might be grandchildren one day!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs