Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Learning how to work it

I had a nice postsurgery checkup with my doctor yesterday.  As part of my evaluation he sent in a physical therapist.  She asked me to walk down the hall.

Walk I did.  Down and back.  No limp.  I was so proud of myself.

She was not impressed.  "You're holding yourself too still.  You have to swing your hips with each step.  Roll through your pelvis."

Seriously?  What she was demonstrating looked like it needed a snare drum accompaniment.  I tried it.  Concentrating on swaying my hips out.

"That's it!  Walk just like that!  Perfect!"

I felt like Mae West (does that make me old, that I know who Mae West is?  or maybe I just like old movies).  It felt silly and exaggerated.  But the problem is, I haven't walked "right" in so long, I seem to really not remember how to do it.

So if you see me walking down the street and shaking it, have a little sympathy.  I'm not trying to be sexy, I'm just still learning how to walk.


Thank you for the nice comments about my poor little sick cat.  She managed to avoid surgery and she is getting back to her old self, although she lost some weight during her ordeal.  I'm so thankful we have such a wonderful conscientious veterinarian.

6 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Nancy said...

YEAH!! :) I'd like to see video, please ;)

Melissa said...

I'm sorry!! That might be frustrating for you but it is a rather funny story...one you can share with your grandkids someday... ;)

Unknown said...

That doesn't make you old at all. I'm 23 and I know who Mae West is. I'm actually a distant relative of Betty Davis. Women today could learn a few things by watching their movies.

The Mother said...

Next, you'll be putting on a G-string and 6" heels.

Way to work that hip!

Knitty said...

Work it, girl! :D

Anonymous said...

I was wonderful who that was dancing down the street like a belly dancer...haha (joking). Amazing, isn't it how the body compensate? Yours simply stopped moving the hips. Glad you're doing well.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs