Friday, February 3, 2012

Setting the Summer in Stone

As most parents know, if you don't have your kids' summer plans arranged by January, you might miss out.  Summer camp spots fill up, classes fill up.  How many years did I scramble at the last minute to try to find something that would work to keep the kiddos busy once they were out of school?

Well, it doesn't change much as they get older.  It just becomes more complicated with the input of all the friends who might be doing the same activity.  It's like science camp all over again.

"Wasabi Girl, do you want to go to that Jazz Workshop again this summer?  Do you want to go week A or week B?"

"Hold on mom, let me text and facebook my friends."

Days pass.  I keep asking about her preference and get such complicated answers about the various arrangements and limitations of her friends that my eyes glaze over.  Finally I put my foot down.

"I need to send in this deposit.  Which week is it going to be?"

"I guess it doesn't matter.  I'll just go the first week."

At least I feel I've done my job by asking.  After all that digital discussion I really thought she'd have a preference though.

In Jungle Boy's case, we've been going to auditions every weekend for the various ballet company summer programs.  They all have different deadlines, so we had to make a decision as the first deadline approached, even though he hasn't heard from the final audition he did.  He went back and forth between the programs he was admitted to.  So many strengths, so many different interesting aspects. He really struggled.  I hated to put the pressure on, but deadlines are deadlines and if we didn't put a deposit, he would lose his place.  He was disheartened that many of his friends who attended the program with him last year didn't get accepted this year.

It's hard to watch your kid agonize over a decision.  Even when it's a good choice.  I can tell this is going to be a challenge for him when it comes time to select a college.  In the end, I finally put forth what I thought would be the best fit for him and he agreed instantly. 

So, American Ballet Theatre, Jungle Boy is coming back this year.  We're all happy with the decision.

Now that summer is set I might as well start planning Christmas I guess.

4 people stopped folding laundry to write:

owlfan said...

We're still in the waiting to see if kids get accepted/ meet the requirements, but I expect we'll know things in a few weeks and then we can either breathe easy or start planning a vacation.

Laura said...

I can't believe it's already time for summer planning! Congrats to Jungle Boy!

Melissa said...

UGh - and everything we went to do happens at the same time.

Congrats to Jungle Boy.

Tami said...

You are such a good mom! I was always the one procrastinating while my kids kept pushing "Mom, have you sent my camp papers in yet?" "No, I'll try to get to that today." I was just not cut out to be organized.

Congrats to your kids for being accepted into such wonderful summer activities.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs