Monday, December 7, 2015

Please Stop Rushing Christmas!



Last weekend we set out to get a tree at a reliable lot that is always well stocked.  This was December 6 - there should have been 100 trees to pick from. I like to keep a tree up through New Years day, so to me this just doesn't seem like it should be too late.  I always worry that I'm getting a tree too early for it to last.

The tree you see in the photo was the very last Noble Fir on the lot.  I couldn't believe it.  There were only a few other trees.  As we drove home we passed other lots that were similarly sparse.

There could be a number of reasons for this.  Retailers in general are getting smarter about avoiding excess inventory left over at the end of a season.  I saw tree lots completely closed down a week before Christmas last year and I thought that was amazing.  They must assume that everyone who wants a tree has one by then.  It could also be that so many people have artificial trees now that there is much lower demand for real trees.

But today I went into the local fabric store and all of the very few remaining Christmas items were on deep discount.  I mentioned my surprise to a clerk and she said "this Christmas sucks."  While I might not have said it quite like that, I could see her point of view.  In Christmas seasons past, the fabric store has always been a jolly jam of crafters gathering items for last-minute projects.  Nothing like that this year.  I had trouble finding some ribbon that was Christmas-themed.

What is causing this?  Halloween has certainly gotten much bigger in recent years.  Maybe people are spending more of their time and energy celebrating in the Fall and don't have as much interest in Christmas as they used to.  Maybe we had reached peak excess in the past few years and people are finally scaling back their Christmas crafting and decorating, despite all of the fabulous ideas all over Pinterest.

It makes me a little sad.

I'm going to pour some eggnog, enjoy my Christmas movies - and continue frantically crafting all the things I want to make before Christmas.  I hope your season is fulfilling.  Let me know what you think in the comments.  Maybe Halloween is just more fun for people now?  Do we start celebrating too early?

1 people stopped folding laundry to write:

Heather said...

I suggested to hubby that we go cut our tree this coming weekend, but he thinks we should wait another week. no rush with him.

I'd be happy to let each holiday take it's time arriving instead of the rush it always seems to be.

Take care and enjoy yourself.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs